MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .40c and want to put the .40 barrel onto my c frame. I think it is about a half inch longer. Has anyone done this? It does not appear that a longer protrusion will interfere mechanically with the slide. Also, I have a Viridian C5L on the front rail and I am having issues with adjusting the windage/elev adjustments. I was thinking of purchasing a pistol vise to hold the pistol and zero off the impacts from there. Or can I just get a laser bore sight round, chamber it, stand 5 yards from a wall and adjust the C5L to the bore sight laser? any thoughts would be helpful, Thanks

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
The f/s barrel doesn't even come close to fitting the compact slide, but there a couple/few companies making extended barrels (Storm Lake, KKM).

Before worrying a lot about aligning the laser, learn to shoot your M&P accurately. Once you dial that in you'll find the laser is a secondary aiming assist, primarily for low-light self-defense. The laser is not a substute for training.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
KR is right, but I'll elaborate.

The issue is where the barrel locks into the front of the slide. If you look closely at the barrel, it is slightly conical near the muzzle. This cone causes the barrel to lock up with the slide. If you shoot a 40FS barrel in a 40 FS slide, it may function, but your accuracy will suffer. A 5" 40 barrel will similarly "fit" in a FS or C, but will NOT lock up correctly.

The laser: Get an assistant... Aim the gun at a light switch or other object at the distance you plan to use the gun for defensive purposes. Have your assistant slowly adjust the laser until the laser dot is right on top of your front sight at defensive distance with proper sight alignment.

I prefer the under-the-barrel lasers to align just below the point of impact, the same distance from my bore axis to the laser. The same concept of "hold-under" as an AR Red-Dot.

jw

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys...I will look up the after market availability of some barrels. My intention was to put a threaded barrel with a thread protector on the end. Maybe one day I will pay the tax and play with a supressor, I just want the option. As far as the Laser, I paid a gunsmith $65 to adjust the Viridian(7 yards), went to the range, and cannot figure out what he was aiming at because its about 12" off( could be me I know), I will not go back to him. That is why I just a definitive sighting in, without the pistol moving in between adjustments. Thanks again, Huskers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts