MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Father gave me a an almost brand new Taurus .357 snub node revolver. He originally bought it for home protection but the other day he says while we were cleaning out some stuff at his house "you can have this" I'm like Dad you never know when you may need it but he insisted just take it I don't have any use for it. I just bought an M&P 9 and I don't have any use for it either. He say "well sell it and use the money on something you really want. My question is I've never sold a firearm before. What do I do? Could I take it to a local gunshop and would they buy it or what? What type of guidelines do you have to follow? This is new to me and I don't want to get into any trouble for doing the wrong thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I dont know your state laws but I would sell it and make sure that you get it trasferred buy your FFL to the new owner.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you are selling it to a gun store. Take your Dad with you.

Have him sell it to the FFL dealer or trade or whatever. Then

have the dealer give him a receipt. He keeps the receipt and

you hopefully get the money. If you take it to a dealer and

have it transferred to you the dealer will charge you. It would

be easier yet if you asked the police what Indiana law is on a

private sale from your Dad to you. That would be the way to go.

Zeke

·
Registered
130 Posts
Most states don't have any restrictions on the PRIVATE transfer of firearms but you may want to call the local Police Dept of gun store to find out. Most gun stores will buy them but you will only get a half to two thirds of what they are worth. If you sell them privately with someone in person, make sure you at least get a copy of their ID and make thesign a hand written or typed letter stating that they are not a PROHIBITED PERSON either by state or federal law from purchasing a firearm. They must be at least 21yrs to purchase a handgun or 18 for longguns. This forum has a FOR SALE site where you can post them. You can stipulate a face-to-face transfer or you can ship. To do an out of state shipping you will have to take your gun to a gun dealer aka ffl, and have them ship it to a ffl in the purchasers state. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
ZB338 said:
If you are selling it to a gun store. Take your Dad with you.

Have him sell it to the FFL dealer or trade or whatever. Then

have the dealer give him a receipt. He keeps the receipt and

you hopefully get the money. If you take it to a dealer and

have it transferred to you the dealer will charge you. It would

be easier yet if you asked the police what Indiana law is on a

private sale from your Dad to you. That would be the way to go.

Zeke
Unless there are registration requirements either state or local, no "transfer" is required from dad to son. The form filled out when purchasing a gun from a dealer is not registration. It simply tells authorities who originally bought the gun if they end up finding it at a crime scene or something. That form stays with the dealer unless the BATF does a trace to see who originally bought it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I might be interestedin the M&P 9. What do you want? Cash or Trade? Doesn't have to be a gun, what are your interests?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts