MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in another thread (didn't want to hijack) that you had an MTAC for a 9c that you were waiting for. You said you played with your 45 in it. A couple of questions if you don't mind?

1. Is the MTAC the slide version for 9/40/45? The options on the MTAC site lead me to believe the slide version would be a bit long for the 9c, while I would think your 45 would not fit the 9c specific holster.

2. Did you get the 9c yet and try it with the MTAC? If so, can you give a short write up on your thoughts with the 9c? Particularly what you think of the length of the holster with a 9c in it and how does it conceal if it is, indeed, longer? What about retention?

3. Okay, more than a couple questions...how did the 45 feel in the holster? Unfortunately, my serpa is the one with the recall, and although I really like the serpa, I am going to have to rethink my choices. I like the serpa because I carry my 45 while riding (horseback, tractor, etc.) and I get bounced around frequently. Retention is very good on the serpa, and natural for my draw.

Thanks much (in advance!)!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I'll jump in if you don't mind.

The slide holsters fit all models (9/40/357). I assume that includes the .45 as well. Think of it as a holster with the bottom cut off so that it fits any barrel length.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
choochboost said:
I'll jump in if you don't mind.

The slide holsters fit all models (9/40/357). I assume that includes the .45 as well. Think of it as a holster with the bottom cut off so that it fits any barrel length.

Don't mind at all chooch...the more the merrier, and thanks.

Do you know if that means the barrel of the 45 would stick out some? If so, it is okay with me, I am just curious mostly. It would be nice to be able to carry the 45 while in the field, and drop the 9c in to run into town (seems I can't do any chores without forgetting something...) without changing holsters.

I know you like your CTAC, do you think the retention is the same on the MTAC? Seems to me with half kydex/half leather the retention could suffer?

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The .45 muzzle will definitely stick out of hte slide holster body as would the muzzle of the fullsize 9/40. The slide holster body is basically no longer than the compact. You will have to contact Comp-Tac to double check that the slide versions will accommodate the MP45. My guess is that they will. Especially since we're only dealing with a half shell of kydex.

The retention of the MTAC will be different than the CTAC - again because of the half kydex design. No click in, click out with the MTAC according to the numerous reviews I've read on the MTAC. The kydex is basically holding the pistol against the flat (unmolded) leather backing. That does not mean there is less retention where the pistol will not be secure, it will just be different between teh MTAC and CTAC.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I picked up my 9c today and the muzzle is flush with the bottom of the kydex. The comfort level is good but i do like a bit more cant with a pistol as long and thick as the 9c and a little deeper seating. The 45 just drops in and protrudes a bit from the bottom, so yes this holster can do double duty. Just don't expect that it's going to hide the longer grip or the beavertail of the 45 because it won't on me.

To what Chooch was saying the retention with the MTAC is done mainly with your body pressing leather into the pistol. It's about perfect while you're wearing it but doesn't grip much when you don't have it on.

Changing the subject a bit I wish that Nick Mathews would make a holster for the M&P. I have one of his #2s for my 3" 1911 and the pistol just disappears under my shirt and they're cheap. Maybe if enough of us asked. http://nm-holsters.com/products Notice the the added cant and how the sights are even with the top of the beltline.

Oh and as an FYI, the SigTac leather jacket I wrote about works well with the stubby grip of the M&P9c with the flush magazine in place.

Edit:I've been playing with the MTAC and the more I play the better i like it. The M&P9c just has to be carried differently than the little Kimber. With my build ("fluffy") the Kimber carries best in the Mathews sitting very deeply with the grip aligned almost vertically with my body. The M&P /MTAC works pretty well on me with both belt clips set for maximum depth and a standard cant.

My only complaint with double stack pistols is the difficulty of packing a spare mag discreetly. I have a CrossBreed IWB pouch on its way.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. Guess I will order one of these for m Christmas gift to myself...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts