MP-Pistol Forum banner

Questions from a new Shield owner from PA

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  D.O.A.F.S. 
#1 ·
Hi, Folks!

I just got my Shield 40 and have some questions that I hope you don't mind answering.

Sights - purchased the Ameriglo iDot sights. I like them better than the stock sights. Thoughts? Any suggestions on better sights?

IWB Holster - looking to get one. Any suggestions on models and positions?

Recoil - I'm looking for a round that will be easy to control with accuracy. I currently have Federal Premium HST 165 gr and have Remington FMJ 180 gr. Any suggestions on the best all around self-defense ammo for the Shield 40 with lower recoil in mind?

Thank you in advance for any helpful insight you may have.

#2 · (Edited)
:welcome:

IWB holster, take a look at Alien Gear, a lot of the guys like them.
Concealed Carry Holsters - Alien Gear Holsters - Gun Holsters

HST is one of the better self defense cartridges, hard to go wrong there. If you were worried about recoil you probably should have gotten the 9mm version, I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but its the primary reason I bought my Shield in 9mm.

Also, there is a lot of information tacked at the top of the AMMO Forum, lots of reading there.

#13 ·
Federal HST 124gr. 9mm

WHERE do you find the HST (not +P), 124 gr. 9mm ammo? Everywhere I look, it's out of stock, and Im on a handful of "notify me" lists already.

I'm in Ohio.

I also know it's in the $1.00+ per round price point, and 50 round boxes seem even harder to find....20 rounds is what I usually see listed.

thanks

#4 ·
Welcome!

I have the Shield 40 too and love it. Recoil is not bad at all, my wife doesn't mind shooting it either. For carry ammo I use the Federal HST 180 gr.

As for the Amerigo i-Dot's, I have the SW-345's and really like them, easy to see quickly.

For a holster I use the Safariland/Bianchi Model 135 IWB holster. It has a mesh covered foam backing and is very comfortable, even during hot weather. I wear it in the 3 - 3:30 position. It's a tuckable holster as well if you should need to wear your shirt tucked in. On thing to note is the C-clips are only for a 1.5" wide belt that is an 1/8" or thinner. Some dedicated gunbelts are thicker than a Snicker's Bar so wouldn't work! I have two of these holsters, one for my Shield and one for my 40c, I like them.

#6 ·
Howdy and Welcome form S.E. Florida
Look into Multi-Holster (on internet) they make a great Kydex holster and in the 4:00 position, it is very comfortable,
You can also look into XS Big Dot Sights

Redstone

#10 ·
Welcome from Texas! :gathering:

Let's see, Federal HST's are a great self defense round in any weight. Winnchester PDX1's are great also, but pricey. Like G56 said, check out Doc GKR's sticky at the top of the ammo forum. He is an expert in ballistics.

Your sight are fine if you like them, just a matter of preference there. I like the TruGlo's.

Many threads on holsters around here, again, just a matter of preference. I rarely carry iwb anymore, but when I did, I liked the WhiteHat Max Tuck. Hope this helps! :D

#15 ·
Welcome to the group. I have the 9mm Shield
You have a great set of aftermarket sights
For Holsters ,you will end up with a box extras till you find one good for you!!!!
Alien Gear is Great they also have a 2 fer deal that's hard to beat
Concealed Carry Holsters - Alien Gear Holsters - Gun Holsters

For Kydex I have 3 from Jel Tech GREAT holster for $25.00
Welcome to JelTecHolsters ? JelTecHolsters FYI the site goes to E Bay
Also look into the Talon grip tape, I prefer the rubber version

TALON Gun Grips for Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm/ .40
I also recommend the magazine grip tape, stops the spacer from moving around!

#18 ·
Great question. Haven't crossed that bridge and am now eager to hear what you reccomend. I didn't think of that early on and wanted to come up with a solution because the movement of the spacers caused difficulty with loading the mag. So, I thought it be good to keep it as one piece.

How much mantinence do magazines need? How often?

#19 ·
As far as removing...no idea. I think, not sure but think, you will destroy the base plates trying to remove them.
The amount of maintenance required varies on use. Someone that shoots very little and doesn't carry, little or none is required. I shoot a fair amount(10,000 plus rounds a year) and carry daily, I disassemble my magazines for cleaning and inspection every month. I have magazines that I only use to train with, they have a very rough life getting ejected and dropped on concrete, in mud and stones. I also have ones that are used only to carry. They all get cleaned and inspected at the same time. Problems with magazines and feeding are the number one cause of malfunctions. Take one of your loaded magazines and carry it "every" day in your pocket for two weeks, then disassemble it, you will be amazed in just two weeks how much lint, dirt etc get trapped inside them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.