MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always heard it was bad to dry-fire without a dummy round in the chamber.

I've also heard that the M&P trigger gets significantly better after 500 to 1000 rounds. In an effort to expedite this process, I thought dry-firing would be a good idea.

Problem is, it sucks having to cycle the slide, eject the dummy round, let a new dummy round feed in, pull trigger, repeat.

I noticed that if I go without dummy rounds, I can send the slide back a fraction of an inch, and that resets the trigger . . . but I can't do it with a dummy round in the chamber.

So . . . is it safe to dry-fire without a dummy round? Or is repeatedly pulling the trigger without any reset going to accomplish what I want?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Likewise...no problems dry firing.

·
Site Staff
9,624 Posts
I believe the only guns that can really have problems with dry firing are some rimfires and shotguns, most centerfire rifles and pistols are fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have no problems with the "short cyle" trigger reset, with or without a dummy round chambered. It should be possible either way.

Best Regards,

M&P9C

·
Registered
264 Posts
Problem is, it sucks having to cycle the slide, eject the dummy round, let a new dummy round feed in, pull trigger, repeat.

I noticed that if I go without dummy rounds, I can send the slide back a fraction of an inch, and that resets the trigger . . . but I can't do it with a dummy round in the chamber.

I would NOT do it withuot a dummy round. When I dry fore the M&P without a dummy in place I hear a VERY metalic clank, as in the striker hitting something. With a dummy round in place that sound is gone. The metallic sound is NOT there on the XD nor the Glock. Based on that I ONLY dry fore with a snap cap or other dummy in place to absorb the striker impact.

Why cant you cycle the action partially with a dummy round on place? On mine I can do it without any problems. Every once in a while I have to tap it into full battery, but that isnt a big deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TAZ,

Thanks for your input. I guess I'm taking the slide back too far when I try with the dummy round. I'll try it when I get home -- thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been using dummy rounds in mine for dry fire since breaking a striker. I haven't had a problem since and have dry fired the gun a bunch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts