MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new M&P9 serial number mpfxxxx and I have a few questions. This one has the narrow slide release, not much of a problem, since it melts into my hand--the first semiauto to do so, however can this be changed out? I usually rack the slide anyhow, but just in case, is it possible and how involved is it? Question 2, the broken striker issue, will this affect my pistol? If or when did they change the striker--what serial # batch. I have yet to shoot it due to Cali's ten day waiting period, but I'd like to get a long life out of this gun right out of the box. Thanks for any replies in advance.

Ciao,

Effy

Sig: Soon to be an M&P shooter. ::waits::

·
Registered
419 Posts
I thought the M&P Fs had the newer slide releases. If you are sure it does not, then S&W will replace it for you for free.

The striker issues seems to be mainly with the older strikers in the .40s. I doubt you will have any issues.

Read the manual, clean and lube it, use good ammo, practice, practice, practice, and you should not have problems. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I also have an MPFxxxx 9mm which is revision N. This is the latest revision which should include the new striker and the new slide stop. Does your slide stop have lines or is it smooth?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The slide stop does have lines or grooves. Also it's very difficult to release without the magazine inserted and/or a round in the chamber (dummy round so far of course as I haven't shot it yet.) I guess it has the magazine safety. No biggie to me. I don't plan on IDPA, the trigger is smooth enough (I dry fired it in the store), and I like the extra safety measure since I'm new to semiautos.

Thanks for your replies so far. I can get more info from my paperwork at home. Right now I'm at work.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If it has lines then it is the new slide release. They are often difficult to drop the slide at first but once they are broken in it is no problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I guess after 500 or so rounds the slide will be easier to manipulate. I forgot to take that into account as I'm a reforming revolver guy.
Well I'll never fully reform. Magnum rounds are just too much fun to shoot once in a while. ;>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts