MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for a quick access safe, or even a large one for that matter? What do you like and dislike about yours? I'm trying to decide what to purchase and am kind of on the fence.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
I don't have any real recommendations, I do have a caution:

There are some quick access safes showing up with finger print readers, a lot of them will tell you they can't be fooled, that it takes a live human fingerprint to open them, Mythbusters did a segment on those kinds of things and found they are extremely easy to fool, they aren't nearly as secure as they advertise. Something with a keypad would be a lot more secure.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mad212 said:
here is the video G56 is talking about

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZyFXCPpp-k

Makes you think.

Yea, and then you can pull a Hollywood, and the robber kills you, chops off your fingers, and goes to town until it opens.

But I digress... I use a "quick access safe" at work that is about 4" thick of some alloy, bolted to the ground with 6 different .5" alloy bolts, and with an internal time-lock safe which has an external drop box that is unable to be opened (you slide out this metal slide, put what you want to deposit into a little hole, and then push the slide back in,the slide pushes the object into the inner safe). If I was in a hurry, it would take me 5 seconds to punch in the 6 numbers to open the safe, and it would probably take some one a very decent amount of time to get it out, and would not be worth their time.

However, that is not a gun "specific" safe, so i'm not sure if you want to use it as a comparison, BUT, any safe with a keypad shouldn't take to much time, even IF you are under stress.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have two "safes" (actually lock boxes, they really don't qualify as safes) with Simplex pushbutton locks and they are quick to access if you push the right buttons in the right order. One box is by Cannon and the other by V-Line and they are both bolted down securely with the nuts inside and the bolt threads staked to prevent unscrewing them. They are fairly strong but anyone with some time and tools will open them, just not real quick. They definitely keep casual smash-and-grab thieves and curious children at bay.

I recommend that you set up a combination for the Simplex lock that doesn't require pushing two buttons simultaneously. This is tricky to do if you are in a hurry and nervous and if you don't push the right buttons, the box will not open and you have to reset the opening handle and start over. [/b]

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='mad212']here is the video G56 is talking about

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZyFXCPpp-k

Makes you think.

Yea, and then you can pull a Hollywood, and the robber kills you, chops off your fingers, and goes to town until it opens.

.[/quote]

LOL!

I'm actually looking for a truck safe I can get quick access too.

Since I live alone, well with a room mate, I sleep with my gun next to me holstered with my flashlight.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Most of the actual "gun safes" i've dealt with, are relatively old models that are 7' tall by about 3' wide and 3' deep, solid steel. My grandfather has 2 like that and they are both rotary style (like the old cheap locks you'd use for a locker in school or on your bike).. my grandmother has a room safe on the bottom floor of her house. It is about 10 feet deep, 10 feet tall, and about 8 feet wide, with 1 ft thick concrete reinforced walls and electronic keypad door. Besides hiding Christmas presents in there, it is pretty much all of my family's history and possesions.

My family is overly paranoid...

But I digress... personally, I sleep with my AR-15 under me next to my vest that carries 9 30 rd clips (all full... so 10 mags x 30 bullets) and my .45 M&P is in arm reach in its carrying case (a fanny pack
). I think once I get around to it, i'm going to get a decent sized safe for important documents and my C&R guns (my K31 thats coming in, SKS, and my M91/30 once I order it), but that is all.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Grimwulff said:
My family is overly paranoid...

But I digress... personally, I sleep with my AR-15 under me next to my vest that carries 9 30 rd clips (all full... so 10 mags x 30 bullets) and my .45 M&P is in arm reach in its carrying case (a fanny pack
).
Apparently you share that trait too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's just scary.
I sure wished I had watched that before I bought my last notebook, dumb thing came with a fingerprint scanner :roll: , guess I won't be using that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts