MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this, so forgive me if I'm posting about a topic that may have been answered in another thread, but I was wondering about different range ammunition, and what ammunition y'all use. When I bought my Shield, I bought some Sig V-Crown, 115-grain. I was told this would be great for home defense because it's hollow point. My struggle is, what ammunition do I buy for the range? I bought about 200 rounds the other night of Blazer by CCI, 124-grain. Is this a good start for the range? Or do y'all use something cheaper? It was 50 round for $14.95, so roughly $60.00 for 200.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nothing wrong with your selection. You should try many different brands and grains as you can. Especially the hollow points. Some pistols can be picky. Some will run anything you put in them. Do some research on the self defense ammo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought 115 grain Fiocchi ball in bulk (1000 rounds) for $159 on sale. Runs clean with no issues and matches the 115 grain Hornady Critical Defense that I was using for EDC.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just because a round has a hollow point, doesn't necessarily mean it will be a good self defense round.
Some types of JHP don't expand at all compared to other types, and some will shed their jackets and not get much penetration.

In 9mm, anything that expands to .60 or more and still gets 16 to 19 inches of penetration is outstanding.
Some 9mm loads expand to .50 caliber which is better than no expansion.
The Remington Golden Saber is considered one of the better bullets made, but the standard ( not +P) GS shed all the jackets and only expanded to .43 caliber.
Some of the Golden Sabers did well, some did poorly, choose carefully. One day I grabbed a box of Remington "Ultimate Defense" 124 grain. I thought, "they are a Golden Saber bullet, so they have to be good, right ?"
When tested, they expanded to .35 caliber, yes, they didn't expand one bit. Might as well just use FMJ and save money.

The Winchester Ranger T bullets are well respected, and in most calibers work great, but the 9mm +P 124 and 127 grain Ranger-Ts didn't expand at all and tended to get too much penetration.
The Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain hardly expanded at all, the +P version of the Critical Duty did expand some, but .47 caliber isn't that great when you consider that Federal HSTs expand from .60 to .66 caliber, while still getting the same 18 inches of penetration that some of the poorer performing loads got.

The HST's of any caliber, weight or at any starting velocity are outstanding, great expansion AND good penetration.
Check your load against the chart.
Yes, bullets might act differently in flash and bone compared to cloth covered ballistic gel, but Lucky Gunners extensive testing will show you how various bullets do in the same test medium compared to each other.
If you value your life, and the lives of your loved ones, use HSTs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I fired all sorts of cheap ammo with no issues. Using sellier & bellot 124grs and blazer 115grs now for 13.00 per box of 50 with my shield 9mm. I only have 37 rounds of 9mm Luger 147 gr Silvertip Hollow Point and I cant find any other home defence ammo around me so I'm treating these like I'm shooting $100. out of my shield for each one fired.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Clang, SG Ammo in Oklahoma has Federal HST's and Speer Gold Dots in stock as of now. Tomorrow they might be out of those, but have something else come in. I've thought about ordering something, waited a day and then they were out of stock of those.
$38.95 for 50 rounds isn't bad at todays pricing, works out to 78 cents a round. Much better than paying $28 for those little 20 and 25 round boxes at the local store.

I bought 5 boxes of 124 grain HSTs last month. I place around 10 orders a year with SG Ammo, it's always at my door in 4 or 5 days. No excuses from them about weeks of being behind because of Covid 19 like you'll hear from other dealers. If they have it in stock it will get shipped out the day you order it or the next day at latest.

·
Registered
312 Posts
+1 on SGammo.

I would also suggest using the same bullet weight for training rounds as you are using for your defense rounds.

That way the point of impact and the recoil should be very close to the same.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My 2.0 9MM 5" shoots it's best groups (so far) with Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo. Noticeably better than anything else I've shot in it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My favorite range ammo has always been Sellier & Bellot (S&B). It is loaded a bit "hotter" than American made ammo so there will be a bit more recoil, but I prefer 124gr. when I can find it. It seems to be a bit more accurate for me also, but we're talking maybe one inch difference in total pattern size.

That said, I've used at least 6 or 7 different brands of reputable range ammo and most work with most guns, but not all. Basically, if it is good ammo and I find a case of it for the best price, that is what I order. You need to buy a box or two of a brand that is new to you to see if your gun likes it or not. I absolutely refuse to shoot any steel cased ammo through my guns. Period.

Yes, SD ammo will often shoot to a different point, so again it is wise to test various brands and then make a decision as to what your gun likes, and what your pocketbook can stand.

·
Registered
295 Posts
When I buy, I buy in bulk Speer/CCI 115 Brass. It runs in all my guns.

However, I normally carry a 147 grain bullet for SD. I reload and my 147 reloads mimic Speer Gold Dots in impulse and I shoot the same in competition and training. It goes 1039 FPS out of 5" M&P.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts