MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The indoor ranges in my county all require that shooters buy and use the range's ammo, even in non rentals.

They claim it's for safety reasons (of course there is also the $$ issue for the range).

Just curious how common this is elsewhere.[/b]

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
On a rental gun I can see the point, but not on your own personal guns.

Any range that tried to pull that on me would never see me again, it's total BS, extra profit is their motive. I've been to a couple of dozen different ranges in my shooting life, and none of them required that you use their ammo, except for a rental gun.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you can, go find another range. It sounds to me like they are trying to guarantee themselves more money from the shooters that patronize their establishment. You should also tell them why you are going to a different range.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
There are two reasons for this.

1) money grab.

2) more increasingly common, trying to insure that all ammo shot on the range is lead free, or at least lead free primers with completely encapsulated bullets

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Not common here, but had to comment on this.......can you say LAME????? I cant beleive this......Money is the only significance I see behind this.

I agree with coltman, state land is a blast, its free and you do different drills etc. Its great. But here in AZ its 1000 degrees too damn hot to enjoy it, so range time is best!

Hope you can find another range my freind. Good luck

The Fish said:
The indoor ranges in my county all require that shooters buy and use the range's ammo, even in non rentals.

They claim it's for safety reasons (of course there is also the $$ issue for the range).

·
Registered
910 Posts
One range around here makes you shoot a certain type of ammo, and has some if you don't, but has no problems with you bringing your own.

I would find somewhere else to shoot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A few older indoor ranges around here require Frangible or lead free bullets---maily b/c of poor ventilation etc. Never have they required you to shoot their ammo though. I would find a new range.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I know a range that tried the same thing,

I just took a lesson from the Bible and did a "Loaves and Fishes" on them by dumping their two 50-rnd boxes of ammo into a big bag. I must have shot between 300 and 400 rounds out of that bag and it was still a cornucopia of ammo.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Fish said:

Thanks for the replies... The alternative to the "Loaves and Fishes" technique is to empty 100 rounds of WWB into two empty 50 round boxes of the range's brand of ammo.

The Fish appreciates the biblical approach.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Fish said:
[quote name='The Fish']The indoor ranges in my county all require that shooters buy and use the range's ammo, even in non rentals.

Thanks for the replies... The alternative to the "Loaves and Fishes" technique is to empty 100 rounds of WWB into two empty 50 round boxes of the range's brand of ammo.

The Fish appreciates the biblical approach.[/quote]

Nice. :twisted:

·
Registered
708 Posts
some ranges dont want HP rounds in their range period. if they charge a reasonable price to use the range and require you to use their ammo then i guess its ok. but if they charge crazy $ for ammo on top of a range use fee then id go somewhere else.

local place I goto is 12$ all day, use your own on own gun or must use their ammo in rentals.

·
Registered
512 Posts
A range I used to go to when I lived in Richmond only allowed you to use their ammo regardless of whether or not you owned the gun or rented it.

Their products/prices:

CCI Blazer Aluminum, Remington UMC, and others none of which is non-frangible/lead free

9mm $12.95+

.45 $16.95+

Wow, looking back that place really rips you off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Pretty much any range is going to require that you use their ammo in rental guns. That way they know how many rounds have gone through each gun, and they know the quality of ammo that's been run through their guns.

A lot of ranges, especially indoor ranges, will require the use of factory loaded ammunition only. This is due to several factors. First, is air quality. I don't know of any factory ammo that uses hard cast lead, and a lot of manufactures are going to enclosed base bullets to limit lead exposure. Additionally, there is the liability issue. A lot of the insurance companies that insure ranges frown on handloads because they're more likely to KB (so they claim-I've shot-and continue to shoot-a hell of a lot of reloads), and because the insurance boys may have to pony up a lot of money if something bad happens. If factory ammo goes KB, the insurance guys can go after the mfg.

I have heard of a few places that require that you buy ammo from them no matter what. In those instances, I would try to find another range. It's not likely that you'll change their mind.

Joe

·
Registered
471 Posts
I feel sorry for you guys that have to use the range. I just use my backyard. I know the local range here requires you to use their ammo ammo. I also see it as mainly a profit thing for them.

Ron

·
Registered
210 Posts
I oncewent to a range that required you to only use their ammo which consisted of reloads....then told you not to pick up any brass. Hmmmm......I wonder what they did with all that brass

·
Registered
141 Posts
The only restrictions I have ever encountered are that you have to use their ammo through rental guns. Also no steel core ammo (Wolf), which I wouldn't want to ruin my gun with anyway and shotgun slugs only if you're shooting a shotgun.

I guess unless they count your brass you could buy a small box and start with full magazines of your own stuff. Depending on how many mags you have you might not have to buy too much. You have to empty out the mags to use their ammo anyway and that's the quickest way to do it. Don't want to waste range time doing it manually.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yep, you're gettin' screwed. The ranges here in Charlotte only require their ammo in the rental guns. No way I'd let a range force me to put their overpriced ammo through my own gun.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts