MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the range, got my M&P 40 all cleaned up and let me tell you it was great. I put 350 rounds of American Eagle and Remington through it without a single problem, I also put about 10 rounds of Speer 180 GDHP and 5 Hornady 180 TAP without a problem. Accuracy was ok as it was raining and only go to shoot it off hand from 25 yards (thats were the roof is) with most of the rounds were within a 16 inch circle. I will have to get used to the trigger as my normal carry/target firearms are Kimbers, Ultra CDP II and a Grand Raptor II.

Overall It was as I had expected it to be: Mild on recoil, smooth shooting and great grip with the ability to customize it to your hand. even in the cold and wet I always felt I had a firm grip on it.

This will become my new at work (gun shop) carry gun in a Desantis Paddle NYPAD holster with 2 extra mags in a Bianchi #29 leather pouch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cheyenne,

I am seriously shopping for a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I shot one last week and it was very sweet. How do you like the gun for a carry? Any FTF/FTE issues? I would like to find a slightly used one to purchase, but I could buy a new one for a good price. Do you use the Kimber mags or Wilson combat mags?

Thanks and best regards,

tjq

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TJG,

The Ultra CDP II that I currently have has over 500 rnds through it without a single FTF/FTE, I put Winchestrer and Federal 230 FMJ through it for the first 300 rounds to break it in then worked with hollow points and still no problems. As for the Grand Raptor II it has about 400 through it with no problems.

When I am at the range with the Ultra I normaly shoot at about 10-15 yards and can keep the groups to 4", with it weighing 25 oz unloaded it is a dream to carry. I am currently using the Kimber Pro-Tac mags with the removable baseplates and bumpers, I have used Chip Mc Cormicks in the past.

I am at Shooters Service in Livonia and we have a Stainless ultra carry II NIB for $708.00 and a Pro CDP II NIB for $1078.00, we do get some used in from time to time.

Where do you do most of your shooting? I belong to Western Wayne County Conservation Assoc.

I am also chairman of the Johnson Creek Regulators which is our Cowboy Action dicipline, you can check us out at www.wwcca.com

Howard

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
One of the few guns I really regret selling is a Kimber Compact CDP. It was an awesome little 1911; and it was 100% reliable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I usually shoot indoors this time of year. Either the Firing Line in Southland or Mill Creek in Dexter. I have been sponsored for membership in a sportmans league and will let you know how that goes once I am in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Howard,

The Ultra Carry II, nib at $703 is a very, very good deal. I will PM you for more information.

Brgds,

Tom

·
Registered
56 Posts
Howard,

2 PMs sent. I want the gun and will get with you at your shop Thursday or at the latest Friday. Check PMs.

Brgds,

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TJQ,

Got the PMs and will talk with you soon

darklyte24,

The TAP rounds were not as hot a load as the Speer, the recoil felt lighter and there was less muzzle flash. Also looking at the ballistic charts it produces less energy. As for accuracy, due to the rain I just shot 5 rounds of each at 10 yards with about a 2-3 inch group I am going back out on Wednesday so I let you know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got my M&P all cleaned up from another fun filled trip to the range. This time I shot at 10 yards with 200rnds of Remington umc, most groups were 2-3 inches a little low and to the left. I also pot another 15 rnds of Speer 180 GDHP and 15 rnds Hornady TAP same grouping same POI, most likly it's me needid to get used to the longer trigger pull. I am happy to report that with 600 total rnds not one FTF/FTE and it still looks great, no excessive were to be found.

More to come after the next trip.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cheyenne,

I also started low and left. Good groups, but not what I thought was POA. I have discovered for myself that trigger discipline is extremely important with this gun. I suggest making sure that it is the pad of the tip of your trigger finger that makes contact with the trigger and a slow/smooth pull of the trigger straight to the rear. This helped me, ( when I rememberd how it should be done).

Also, I take my finger off the trigger after every bang. I tried to feel for the reset with my finger on the trigger and have had 2 surprise bangs, ( both pointed down range, as I was practicing double tap). The weight of the gun itself, when recovering for a second quick shot can cause a bang if your at the trigger reset.

Enjoy the gun. I truly enjoy mine and shoot it every chance I get.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
After shooting Glocks for so long it is taking me a while to get used to the M&P trigger also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This will be the last update, Just put another range session behind me and with a total of 1065 rounds through my M&P40 I have yet to experience a single malfunction of any kind. I am very please with this and am happy to say I think S&W has built a fine pistol that will be around for many year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts