MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have raved about the PX4 being the "best" 9mm I have ever owned and shot. And do not get me wrong, I still love my PX4. But let me put it this way, if the PX4 were my main woman (or wife) the M&P is now firmly planted as my mistress! What an awesome weapon. I am completely impressed.

The original plan to hit the range was not until this week Friday. However my brother in law and sister in law came over yesterday for a nice Sunday visit, to sit in the sun and enjoy the first really nice day of spring here in Chicagoland. After lunch my bother in law (his name is Juan) asked if I had picked up any new pistols. "But of course" I said with a huge smile. The women rolled their eyes and knew what was to come next.......RANGE TIME!!!!

Juan and I hit the local Wally World for some ammo. I really wanted to put the M&P thru its paces. So I wanted to get a good amount of ammo. Lucky for me Wally World had 9mm 100 round bulk boxes of WWB 115 grain on sale. Regular price is $14.98 per box. But it was marked down to $11.98 a box! $3 saving per box huh? "Gimme 5 boxes my good man" said I to the young man behind the ammo counter. Juan grabbed 300 rounds of the 9mm WWB and another 100 rounds of 380 auto (WWB as well) to shoot thru the little Bersa I have. And off to the range we go.

Juan has the Bersa, my fathers 92F and 400 rounds of ammo. So he's all set. I got 500 rounds of WWB so I am set as well, right? Well, almost. A good break in/range report is not complete without shooting defense ammo too. The range we went to (Rinks in Lockport) had some various HP's on sale. So I picked up 20 rounds of Hornady TAP FPD 124 grain HP's and 100 rounds of Remmington Golden Sabers 147 grain HP's (on sale). I set 34 rounds of the Sabers off to the side, to keep for the 2-17 round mags for in the house. The rest is for range testing. Ok, so here we go.

BTW, pardon the targets I used. They are the "teaching" targets that I printed off the computer. I mostly brought them for Juan because he does not shoot much. But as you'll see, they served their purpose.

The M&P is an absolute pleasure to shoot. The stock trigger is pretty good out of the box. Much smoother than a Glock. But I did do a home style "Burwell" trigger job, with great results. So needless to say, the trigger during range time was excellent. Recoil? What recoil? I honestly thought the PX4 had minimal recoil. Compared to other 9mm's the PX4 does indeed. But not compared to the M&P. Target reacquisition was lightning fast. An awesome feel and experience to shoot. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, anyone interested in accuracy? Oh she shoots just dandy. With time I know the groups will get only tighter. But for my first outting, (without patting myself too hard on the back) I will say I shot quite well.

The first pic is of 2 targets. Set at 7 yards out, 1 second intrevals between shots fired. I mag fired thru each target. 1 loaded with 115 grain WWB FMJ's and the other with 147 grain Golden Saber JHP's.

This second pic is set out to 15 yards. Same time frame, 1 second shot intrevals. Same types of ammo as the first pic. The only difference is 2 mags fired thru each target.

This last pic is something I do not do very often. Setting the target at full range. At this indoor range that happens to be 30 yards. IMHO shooting at this distance in a waste of time and ammo. Unless one is shooting a carbine or 22LR that is. When I practice at the range I want to be prepared for what actually "could" happen. I know this has been disputed before, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. I like to practice within "combat range" distances for accuracy. That being 7 to 15 yards. But for the hell of it, I set one target out to the distance of 30 yards for curiosity sake. 115 grain WWB, 1 second shot intrevals. 1 mag. Results were actually quite surprising, being I never shoot at this distance.

So if you have not guessed by now, yes I am impressed with the M&P. Smith and Wesson has a real winner with this one. I read in alot of other forums of Glock lovers dropping their Glocks like bad habits for the M&P. I can certainly see why. The only other "plans" I have for this fine pistol is the same I have for my PX4. **NIGHT SIGHTS** For each pistol its a $140 investment that will go a long way.

In closing, for those on the fence about getting one of these fine pistols, I hope this report knocked you right off the fence into Smith and Wessons back yard. I thank you for reading.

The Guinea

·
Registered
763 Posts
Great to hear Guinea

As of about 2hrs ago i'm up to 800 rounds through my mp9 w/o any malfunctions (except my thumb riding the slide stop on 3 occasions). I love this gun. When looking around trying to decide what to buy i considered the px4 as well. I think it might just be a LITTLE more comfortable than the M&P, but i'm not a big fan of DA/SA, so i went with the S&W. Must be nice to have both, lucky [email protected]!! Glad to hear you're having a good time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts