MP-Pistol Forum banner

Range Report

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  coltman1985 
#1 ·
I attended a handgun class this weekend designed for CCW applicants taught by police marksmanship instructors. I debated my choice of weapons. The M&P .45 I bought a few weeks ago is interesting but I couldn't decide if I wanted to try out the M&P which is essentially unproven or one of my 1911s I'm used to shooting. After getting a couple more mags from S&W and a holster from Mike Benedict I took the plunge with the new gun. One thing that attracted me to the M&P is the conventionally rifled barrel and its ability to shoot the same lead reloads I shoot in 1911s. FYI, 200swc lead bullets do not function in the Springfield XD. My ammo for the course was 400 rounds of reloads consisting of a Laser-Cast 200swc bullet over 4.4gr. Titegroup. At 300 rounds the pistol choked twice on one magazine. We had been dropping the mags in the dirt all day and I'm suspecting sand in the mag as a cause. After that one incident I fired a further 100 rounds without issues. I found the trigger quite manageable. When I got the pistol home and cleaned the barrel it showed only slight leading. I patched it out with Shooter's Choice lead remover and brushed it a few times. It was spotless. I'm impressed with this pistol and I hope S&W can capture some of the police market back from Glock. Having owned Glocks, I find M&Ps much more ergonomic. I tried out some other pistols at the class but nothing I liked as well as my gun. The next class is in two weeks so I'll put another 400 rounds through it and see how it does.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.