MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, being a new shooter, I see a lot of target sizes/types and some have nomenclature linked to various competition or associations to shooting organizations.(IDPA, NRA, IPSC?) If I want to start off with basics and set a starting line for myself just in terms of accuracy and not necessarily rapidity of fire, what can I buy in terms of range targets to start to track my progress looking ahead?( I like reactive targets, and I realize maybe they don’t count, but that is what I’d like to use anyway, if possible to match pattern or scoring design/format)

Also, is there any sort of guide to how to use the targets and the associated scoring to establish a skill level? Sort of like a golf handicap?

I don’t know how to score the bullseye targets and would like to know...example bullet hole tangent to one of the rings...how do you score it? , vs hole split in two areas of scoring, etc...and are there thresholds based on scores for certain target styles that relate to distances that you can informally know how good you may be getting as an accomplished shooter?

Bear with me,( I have no idea if this jargon is right or not but I’m trying to characterize my question another way....) something like “If you are shooting from 25 yards at a B8 target and you score above 90 for ten shots then you are considered “expert” vs if you score between 75-90 then you are considered “marksman” , and so on.......hopefully this question makes sense.....

I want use a close diameter and format reactive target that is very similar and can be scored similarly to an official target style (regardless of speed right now) so I can make my range time as useful as possible.....and would like to be in the 7 yd range to max of about 15 to 20 yards, closer to 15 yards max right now, unless I can be shooting at a two foot diameter at 25 yards....Presently I am zeroed at 12.5 yards and shooting at 12 x 12 targets and sometimes 8” single bullseye type ones.

SB

·
Registered
515 Posts
For paper targets with scoring rings, any bullet hole that just touches the line between rings scores the higher value. For example a shot that is in the 8 ring but just touches the line between the 8 and 9 ring is scored as a 9. Evaluating "just touches" has lead to some heated discussions between the shooter and the scorer in important, or even not-so-important, matches. :rolleyes:

Reactive targets like swinging or pivoting steel plates or frangible targets like hanging clay pigeons can be a lot of fun and rewarding to shoot. But they have one problem. Hits are binary, you hit or you miss and the problem is if you miss you probably don't know where you missed. Unless you miss by a huge amount, paper targets generally tell you in what direction you were off, high, low, left, right, etc. and that helps diagnose your aiming errors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just started also and I like useing these at the range .

Not sure what the name is of this target but I like that there are 4 targets to hit. I would start on this to get your aim down pat

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you....I guess I should have clarified that by reactive I mean the Shoot N C or Splatterburst style. I like those you have there and think I saw them under brand by OpticsPlanet....

Can’t find much useful at all on YouTube.....frustrating. Only thing I’m finding is the twenty second timed drill for the 25 yard B8 where 90 is considered good, but I’m nowhere near that skill with my gun now!

SB

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sigh .. neither am I. I have been getting tips from the fine folk on this site and I'm slowly getting better .

I will never use this as a target...

This one would be helpful.

·
Registered
295 Posts
mytargets.com

I use different targets depending on the skill I am trying to improve. Sometimes they are not even "targets", but rather a 3x5 card or a 1" dot sticker.

I would not worry to much about exact scoring, but rather improvement in time and accuracy. Your score is irreleveant to someone else's outside competitive shooting. It is useful for baseline evaluations however.

Dot torture is a good way to hone your skills with 50 rounds and no timer. It can usually be shot on restrictive indoor ranges using low ready instead of holster.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mytargets.com

I use different targets depending on the skill I am trying to improve. Sometimes they are not even "targets", but rather a 3x5 card or a 1" dot sticker.

I would not worry to much about exact scoring, but rather improvement in time and accuracy. Your score is irreleveant to someone else's outside competitive shooting. It is useful for baseline evaluations however.

Dot torture is a good way to hone your skills with 50 rounds and no timer. It can usually be shot on restrictive indoor ranges using low ready instead of holster.
Thanks....... is that a specific target array? If so where might I find it? I have found an online article comparing NRA target sizes which has been helpful as well as the National Target Co. website who makes all the official NRA targets. I think I might buy some slow fire B-2 and B-4 targets and some red center B-8(P) RC targets to keep me occupied after my reactive splatter style run out.

I still am having a tough time establishing what defines a better shooter based on general scoring of these style targets. And I guess nobody is allowed to make any splatter version dimensional copies of any NRA targets.....if so I can’t find others than are on the NTC website....

SB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that’s why I was trying to find official type targets for under 25 yards but info is a little difficult to find for a new beginner. I think I’m going to get some B-2 and B-4 targets and if I feel up to it maybe some B-8(P) RC just to dip my toe, but I like the idea of trying to perfect trigger pull and manipulations with the dot torture at 3,5, and then 7 yards....

thanks for the link!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts