MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to sit in on one of their CPL classes and take their tactical handgun 1 course recently and I figured I'd share my experience here.

CPL Course:

I was infromed about RFI by a buddy of mine that had recently attended their CPL program. My youngest brother just turned 21 so I figured I'd pay for him to take his CPL class. I checked out RFI's website to get a general idea of what their credentials were and what other course they might offer. Now, to be honest, as soon as I read the acronym SOCOM, I was slightly put off. With the training industry being the way thast it is today, any douche bag can write that they have spec op experience, further, one more than one occasion have I heard of this not only being false, but their courses being extremely dangerous due to a mall ninja running it. I spoke with Joe, the owner of RFI, on the phone prior to signing up my brother. He was real polite and professional on the phone, stating that I could sit in on the CPL course to see if I cared for the way they instructed.

The class met at a local pub, using their event room as our conference room, for the "class" portion of the course. I'll tell you that I had a bad taste in my mouth to the fact that I had to meet for the course at a bar, but man was that misplaced. Every booth had a T.V. hanging, allowing you to follow the Power Point presentation that was being given no matter where you were seated. They also had two very large screens that were to be used for the presentation, however they were not operational that day. Further, these guys provided a continental breakfast and a pizza lunch during the course which was a really nice touch.

The instructors, Joe, Bob, and Eric were great. They divided the classroom portion into sections, each taking different sections. I felt that this kept the instruction fresh and the students more attentive. All instructors were great with answering all questions and giving real world examples if relevant.

The shooting portion of the course was held at the Ferndale Police Department indoor range, probably a block or two from where we met up. They provided some great scenarios for the students, including conducting some low light shooting. To be frank, I was jealous as hell because when I originally got my CPL years ago we didn't do anything as cool as they did in this class. My brother absolutely loved the course, as well as my father who decided to go and a friend of my brother who also took the course.

As to the instructors, they all conducted themselves professionally and maintained a safe environment for all present. They all took the time to make sure everyone was comfortable handling a firearm, Bob in particular taking the time to assist one of the elderly students who was having difficulty loading magazines. This elderly student did not complete the course due to not feeling comfortable shooting the firearm that her son bought her (a Glock 36). The only reason I mention that is because when I went through my CPL course, everyone passed...including the lady that was hitting the ceiling three feet away during our shooting portion. From what I have understood, that student will be back to the next course with a more appropriate firearm.

Though this post is already long as hell, this to me is the most important: Not once did I have to hear "Well this is how we did it in the Rangers" etc. etc. Each instructor gave their credentials in the begining of the class, and that was that. No talk of slaying pajama wearing cave ninjas while rappeling upside down from a helicopter. If you get a chance, I'd recommend these guys to anyone who has the opportunity to take their course. After having my father and brother go through, I'll now be sending my sister and cousin to RFI for their CPL instruction.

-J

P.S.

These guys are going to be moving from Ferndale to Livonia starting in May, so if you guys are in the Ferndale area take a course while you can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you happen to know the last name of the gentleman named Joe? This might be my Uncle who taught! He was part of a Long Range Recon group for a while and did lots of other cool things.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you happen to know the last name of the gentleman named Joe? This might be my Uncle who taught! He was part of a Long Range Recon group for a while and did lots of other cool things.

Brugnoli

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.