MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range yesterday and wanted to raise my rear sights but the allen screw was extremely tight. To adjust the rear is simply turning out that allen screw?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
you cannot raise the sights, only windage adjustable.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
The rear sight is windage adjustable only, for elevation correction you have to modify the front sight, or order a different height front sight.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My M&P40 consistently shoots low (the further out I put the target, the more pronounced it is). Where does one order a replacement shorter front sight to adjust for that? I tried looking on the S&W web site but did not see anything like that listed but I suppose I could have overlooked it.

Dan, what about the Speed Shooter FO sites you offer on your web site, are they the same height as the factory sights or do you offer options for different heights?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
email smith and see if they offer one?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
snscott,

I only stock the factory replacement, but you can order one from speed shooters in any size you want.

Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I first got mine it seemed to shoot low as well, but now I seem to be able to hit where I want it to. I don't really know why; but 2 SWAG's are:

1. Differnt ammo. My reloaded 165 grainers vs. 180's vs factory 180's.

or:

2. My grip improved and I just got used to shooting it. I would make sure your using a high grip if your not already. Experiment with the different sizes if you haven't done so.

:arrow: Also try dry-firing, then, you can see what your sights do when you compress the trigger.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too shot low with my M&P40. The trigger is alot harder than my 1911's. I was squeezing the trigger so hard that I was pulling the gun down. When I pulled straight back it was right on. I am still working on this.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Response from S&W Customer Service:

Sir, unfortunately we don't have other front sights for the M&P. The accuracy standard is 4 inches at 25 yards, if it is outside our standard you should send it in for warranty service. Please see the attachment for shipping instructions.

I have been watching the front sight very carefully during dry firing. I don't notice it moving up or down, however, I DO notice it snap to the side sometimes when the firing pin hits (it is NOT my trigger movement that causes this front sight jump).

I did not try 25 yards (I don't think my range is over 50 feet). At 30 feet the shots were very low and left of POA. Dang it, I was hoping I could avoid sending it back to S&W.

I will try it at the range one more time and take extra great care in monitoring my trigger control to see if it really is operator error. Still, I am not a competition target shooter, and I can keep it on the target paper (mostly) at 30 feet. Good enough for multiple COM shots if ever necessary.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Before you send it back to S&W, you might want to have a better shooter fire it to see where it hits for them. No, I'm not saying you are not a good shooter, but unless you are Dave Svigney, there is always someone better than you (or me).

--Lin

·
Registered
573 Posts
When I first started shooting my M&P9, after 3 years with my SW9VE Sigma, I found myself concentrating on trigger pull and I was consistently shooting low and to the left. After two months with my M&P9 I don't think about the trigger pull anymore...I just aim and fire, and I always have very tight groups at the point of aim....all without sight adjustment. I had tried to move the rear sight when I first started shooting left, but I couldn't get it to budge!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Having similar problems with my M&P9. Bought it last Sat. Seems to shoot about 4" low and 1" left at 10-12 yards. Did this for me and another shooter. A third shooter said left but was about right for elevation. I noticed the front sight is not centered, a tad to the right. It's about to go off to S&W for a fix, but I want to make clear up any problems with the shooter.

Also, the rear sight has what looks like a set screw, but I don't seem to be able to find anything that fits it. Anyone know size and type?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts