MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the beny's are to changing out your rear sight. I own a M&P 45 with the white dot Novak rear. Is the bed(area between your alignment dots) wider/deeper? does this allow one to see more of his/her target to either side of the front post? The Novak rear is very streamline (no snags) IMO, so I can't see a reason to change there. Unless you wanted to go with NS all around. Why does one change out the rear sight?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I personally do not like the white dots on the rear sight. To me, it a distraction as are serations. I blacked out the rear dots with a Sharpie but have changed to a Warren rear sight to go with the Speedshooters FO front sight.

The Warren, I believe, is the fastest sight on the market. {not that I am all that fast} It is wider that than the Novak.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have to say that I really have liked the Warren Tactical rear sight also. Combined with the Trijicon front sight it is a very nice sight picture. It is fast as 45guy stated. I also blackened out the white dots on the original M&P sights.

I am including some pics for you MPshooter. The first picture is the sights that came on the M&P and the second set are the Warren and Trijicon combo.

Ron

Original M&P sights:

Warren and Trijicon:

·
Registered
171 Posts
1. How does the width and height opening dimensions of the Warren Tactical (WT) differ from that of the stock Novaks?

2. Does the WT work well with the HiViz FO standard 0.16" front sight height?

3. Sorry if this sounds silly. For those using the WT, how is it better than just blackening the stock Novaks (maybe with Sharpie), and what makes it sight-acquisition 'faster'?

I recently ordered the HiViz FO w/ 0.16" height and I'd like to know if it will work well with the WT too. Thanks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
1. How does the width and height opening dimensions of the Warren Tactical (WT) differ from that of the stock Novaks?

3. Sorry if this sounds silly. For those using the WT, how is it better than just blackening the stock Novaks (maybe with Sharpie), and what makes it sight-acquisition 'faster'?

1 the dovetail dimensions are the same since they are made for the M&P. the Warren sight is .005 taller so with out changing the front sight it would shoot a little higher

2 should be fine

3 Novak M&P sights have a busy sight picture and a lot of rounded edges giving a really crappy sight picture

You should also look at other rear sights I have sights from 10-8 and Burwell and like them both

·
Registered
171 Posts
mike benedict said:
1 the dovetail dimensions are the same since they are made for the M&P. the Warren sight is .005 taller so with out changing the front sight it would shoot a little higher

2 should be fine....

You should also look at other rear sights I have sights from 10-8 and Burwell and like them both

Thanks. Some clarification... you said in 1. that the Warren is .005 taller and will shoot little higher, but in 2. you say they would be fine with the Hiviz standard 0.16". Aren't this contradicting? i.e. if I use the Hiviz standard size at 0.16" with the Warren, won't it shoot little high since the Warren is 0.005" higher? Quite minimal, but using these combo, what should be the alignment for it to be zero flat?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ron!

Pictures really do say it all. I can see how "busy" the stock Novak sights really are. I'll black out the rear dots tonight. I really like that WT rear. How much taller are they that the stock Novak rear sight? I like the low profile of the Novak's.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If my calc. is correct the difference would be only 3/4" at 25 yards

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok... so it's not that much of a difference(at least for a shooter of my caliber). I'd just call that op error...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
For shooting slow, the stock sights are fine.

For shooting fast and getting your hits, they have some issues.

1) the realtive dot sizes between front and back don't match, and this is distracting when trying to line them up, which your brain will jsut try to do even if you aren't thinking about it. Since they don't line up even, you have to THINK to get a good site picture.

2) the stock shapes are actually a fairly comlex shape. I don't need that there. It creastes highlights and shadows that add information I have to filter out when getting a good sight picture. This slows me down.

As for other sights, those with forward canted rears are not for me. Even with nice serrations, they catch too much light. At least on the ones I have seen, the serrations are cut square to the plane of the rear angle. This means half of them reflect light back at you rather than scattering it like serrations are supposed to.

For me, the sightts to beat are the warren tactical and the dawson precision rear. Both are angled backwards and keep it nice and simple.

·
Registered
171 Posts
mike benedict said:
If my calc. is correct the difference would be only 3/4" at 25 yards

Just got my warren rear sight and indeed it shoots bit high when the stock front sight is aligned with the warren at the top. Which front sights then would match the warren so that when aligned at the top they won't shoot high nor low?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also found the factory sight distracting, so it was replaced with a Dan Burwell that has a very durable black finish. I used Testors fluorescent orange enamel paint on the front sight. After several coats I covered it with my wife's clear fingernail hardner to add durability. This combination is easy to acquire when shooting a timed qualification course.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
sherpa said:

I recently ordered the HiViz FO w/ 0.16" height and I'd like to know if it will work well with the WT too. Thanks.

I've shot a fellow IDPA shooter's M&P 9 with the HiViz front/WT rear sight. It works just fine. I shot from 7-20 yards and if I hadn't read in this thread that the WT a smidge taller, I wouldn't have noticed it myself.

NO WAY you'll miss the front sight! :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
ront - to get the warren rear and trijicon front, did you have to buy a full set of trijicons? I cannot seem to find anywhere that sells just a front sight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another issue with the Novak rear is that it is useless for doing one-hand slide manipulations. The Warren, XS, & 10-8 are all much better suited in this regard. The stock sights were my biggest gripe with M&Ps that I worked with down at Stennis...that and the fact that the front sight on at least one of the guns was undersized enough that it just slid out of the slide while the weapon was in the rack.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Triggerman66 said:
I also found the factory sight distracting, so it was replaced with a Dan Burwell that has a very durable black finish. I used Testors fluorescent orange enamel paint on the front sight. After several coats I covered it with my wife's clear fingernail hardner to add durability. This combination is easy to acquire when shooting a timed qualification course.

I also did this mod on mine. Testors "Gunmetal" on the rear sight dots and "florescent red" on the front...what an improvement. Posted pics of mine on another thread I had started asking about sights a while back. I'll be replacing these with tritiums at some point in the near future...but for now, I had to fix the stock sights. Didn't like them one bit. Here's the thread...pics are towards the bottom.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10977

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also reinstalled my stock Novak (from the Warren) and just marked them w/ Black Sharpie, until I find some other option that is less shiny. Any suggestions?

I can't seem to have the Warren stay in place. Only after 8-10 rounds it already moves to the left. I already applied blue loctite but it seems the screw doesn't have much friction on the slide so it still slides to the left until the screw reaches the edge of the notch on the slide. I'm glad I was able to remove the screw even w/ blue loctite and put back the stock Novaks in time for our club shoot.

For those with the Warren, any suggestions how to keep it in place? I really like the flat Warren surface but can't seem to have it stay in place. The stock stay snug fit even when I put it back. Help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts