MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make my own rear sight for the M&P. I am unsure about what dovetail cutter I will need. I have access to all the machining equipment I need, but I don't have a good way to measure the angle of the dovetail. My rough measurement came out to 65 degrees. The only dovetail cutters I find in supply books are 45 and 60 degree. Would I have to get a dovetail cutter made, or is there someplace I can buy one? Is 65 degrees the right angle?

I can machine all the surfaces, except one, without a dovetail cutter. I think I need a dovetail cutter for the rear dovetail angle on the sight. I could tilt the head of the mill to get the front dovetail angle; although this would be easier with the correct dovetail cutter.

I would appreciate any information on this matter. I have an idea of a sight I want to make for myself. I don't plan on mass producing these. I just want one for myself. It will be a really neat sight if it comes out like I think it will.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh hell, I didn't even think about Brownell's. I looked in just about every machining supply catalog there is, and there were none. It looks like I would have quite a bit of money tied up in this just to get a cutter and file. It will be a fun project anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts