MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpeg The rear sight on an M&P FS 9 I just picked up is literally maxed out all the way to the left. I was encouraged after reading another similar post to go ahead and center the sight, which I have. I will be shooting it in 2 days, and will update. Any one else encounter this?

·
Site Staff
9,628 Posts
It does happen from time to time, you did the right thing, it should be fine.

Its ridiculous they let stuff like that slip through, some of their quality control people need to find a different job since they suck at the one they are doing now.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wow, I'd say your shots wouldn't even be in the ballpark! How easy was it to center it, could the sight be way too loose in the dovetail?

I've heard the factory uses a huge press to install sights. I've also wondered when they test fire them if they shoot at a target or just into a bullet trap. If they just shoot into a bullet trap the tester could very well not even look at the sights to notice them being off center, but you'd think somewhere along the manufacturing process someone would do a final inspection and should have caught it.

·
Site Staff
9,628 Posts
The test firings are only for function, they don't even look at the sights.

Back in 1968 I got into Bullseye shooting, this was long before action pistol came along, Bullseye is the very formal one handed target shooting. I had to buy a Colt Gold Cup 1911, a factory target pistol and they charged an arm and a leg for it. Each pistol came with its own fired target fired from 25 yards as I recall, signed and dated, I'm sure they were shot from a machine rest, mine was 5 shots into about a 1 1/2" group.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I thought that might be the case G56.

I was thinking either my Sig P226 bought in middle 80's or my HK P7M10 bought in late 91 or early 92 came with a test fire target...I don't have either pistol anymore and it has been way too long for this old memory to remember for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wasn't loose at all man. Even after I removed the set screw I had to use a piece of wood and a hammer to firmly tap it into center. The set screw was fairly tight as well. I will shoot it tomorrow and post some update pics. I've read a few other post about similar issues, some in which the pistol was not accurate with the sights centered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that actually relieves me. Hopefully it was a mistake, my sights bring like that. I really want to like this gun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well these are some targets i shot from 7 yards slow fire today. Pretty happy with the results, especially considering it was my first time shooting this gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you bud. Lots of dry fire practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a Ruger SR1911 that the front sight slid out while I was shooting it. Not a good feeling when stuff like that happens to a brand new $500+ firearm... Could kinda understand it happening on a low price firearm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That blows. What became of the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took it to a gunsmith buddy of mine and he peened the front sight a little to make it a tighter fit.. Didnt really care much for the gun after that and sold it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts