MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There aren't a lot of places to shoot in my neck of the woods, just outside Orlando, though as I understand it, there are few outdoor ranges quite a drive away.

I believe I'd prefer to shoot indoors for the time being, and right now I'm considering a membership at a local range that isn't too far away.

I believe it costs $12 to shoot if you just want to shoot for the day, $10 if you buy ammo there.

They offer a $30 month's membership, which includes a free gun rental ($10 value).

The yearly membership is $200, or roughly $16.67 / month.

I was hoping they'd offer a 2 or 3 person membership, as I'd like to shoot with a buddy and amazingly my mother (imagine this, I got her hooked with one range visit)!

Sadly, family memberships are spousal and children under 18. It would be nice if they'd make an exception, but they seem pretty set on their ways.

I could handle $100 for a year's membership, but $200 seems a bit excessive to me.

I believe someone mentioned their range fee was only about $26 for the year -- Wow!

Are these charges reasonable, and does anyone know any better place to shoot in Central Florida that's more economical?

Guess I need to figure in gas as well if it's a bit of a drive, and personally, I'd like to shoot close-by if possible.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
708 Posts
2 places i know of where i am, 10$ for i think an hour or two indoor underground, while another place is 12$ all day..outdoor

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The indoor range we have around here also costs $200 a year. There is a local gun club that only costs $60 per year but their indoor supposedly gets packed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The range I go to is $7 outdoor, all day. I have been to indoor ranges that go from $10 to $20. I try to stick to outdoor ranges.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The range I shoot at is 12 bucks a day, 15 bucks a rental, OR 100 dollars a membership, with free guests and 10 dollar rentals. That's pretty reasonable for my area.

I live in the city so we have alot of shady ranges, with obscene range and ammo prices. They usually feature horrible ventilation, and a large flow of home boys who "wanna shoot a glock, yo'" :roll:

Really price is not always an indication of the quality of a range. I'd shell out $50 extra for a clean, well ventilated, SAFE range that is frequented by good shooters. You can learn a lot talking with people and even score impromptu shooting lessons occasionally. Compare this to another shooting range with homie and his friend fooling around with no muzzle discipline. They could be flagging you in the next booth and it'd be unbeknownst to you because your separated from view by the booth's plywood. It would be a shitty way to get perforated.

Ever see ranges with a bunch of holes in their booths? Yea gangsta's strike again... I wouldn't wanna be in the next booth as some guy learns gun safety the hard way.

A range officer to watch your back is a must if they have a large walk in crowd, as is good ventilation; You could potentially be breathing a lot of lead in a 2 hour shooting session without it. Good lighting and target hangers is a plus too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
MY indoor range here is $10 or $15 for two people to share a lane. yearly membership is $300!!! WAY too high. I go often enough to almost break even on that (U also get free gun rentals). But, the problem is my wife. I can spent $10 every other week and use "house money". If I spent $300 at one time, it would be like if I wanted to buy a new gun. I'd either have to sell something or save up present cash to do it. So, I just pay everytime I go.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
My outdoor comes supplied with targets, and the fee is about 700$ a year.

This is a fee for ammo BTW!

·
Registered
98 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
and a large flow of home boys who "wanna shoot a glock, yo'" :roll:

My range doesnt have a huge number of thugs, but Ive seen in there before. They have THE worst shot for anybody on the firing line....half their shots dont even make it to the paper. I could probably shoot better than them with a blindfold on.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
I know you can't go there, but this makes a good comparison for what a reasonable fee schedule might look like, of course real estate is going to be a lot higher in your area.

[email protected] Gun Range in Oklahoma City is fairly reasonable, here's their basic membership program for their indoor range:

* One Year individual Membership

* Your range time is reduced to just $4.00 plus tax each visit

* $40.00 plus tax for the first year

* Renewals are $30.00 plus tax each year if renewed before expiration.

For an outdoor range, the Oklahoma City Gun Club regular annual membership fee just went up to $100, they have an extensive outdoor shooting complex for almost any shooting style, from Bullseye Pistol to Benchrest to Cowboy Action and IPSC, no hourly fees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Closest one to me(1/2 hr drive) is $25 per hour or $250 a year for a membership. Next closest one (45 min drive) is $12 per visit and has different levels of memberships, from $50 - $300. They are both very nice indoor ranges, but the extra 15 minute drive is worth it

·
Registered
264 Posts
The club I belong to is $45/year. Unlimited range time 7 days a week from 0830-sunset. Membership includes spouse and children under 18. It is an outdoor range that is about 45 minutes away form the house. I have yet to have a crowded day where I couldnt find a lane. The others are $10/day for outdoor no membership. The indoor place runs $12/hour or a $200 membership which gives you unlimited access from 0900-2100 7 days a week. Does get crowded though at times. I like the club much better, even though its outdoor. During the summer you are pretty much guaranteed to be alone as noone wants to put up with the 100+ heat and during the winter the same goes. if you get there early at say 0900 you have atleast 2 hours or do of unmolested time where you can do whatever you want.. draw from holster, move and shoot, engage multiple targets...

·
Registered
106 Posts
BWAHAHAHAHAHahahaha........

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

My local club is all outdoors......BUT has wonderful covered

firing lines for rifle, pistol, and black powder. Also has a large archery range, walking courses for archery and black powder, enough professional trap ranges under lighting for four squads at once, multiple pistol bays for action and cowboy shooting, Rifle ranges out to 200 yards, pistol to 50 yards, fishing pond for the kids, club house with kitchen, meeting room.

Trap shooting leagues, archery leagues, pistol leagues, cowboy shoots, high power shoots, military rifle shoots, small gun shows, open trap shooting weekly under the lights, 3D shoots........ list is too long.....

$25 per year for me, and I can take guests. My kids pays his own so he can go when he wishes. No other fees at all except for club run 'shoots'.

Open trap nights are $3 per set. Cowboy shoots are $5 I think.

I just can't imagine paying $12-15 per visit! Some months I shoot 3-5 times a month plus trap under the lights.

Oh, and it's ten minutes from my house.

http://www.slcfsa.com/home.htm

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd say that is fairly reasonable price

You didn't say if it's a public or private membership range. I used to belong to an Indoor range in Pittsburgh area that was outrageously priced. Like $400-500 a year plus I believe $10 an hour. The only reason I joined was they were close to my work and they allowed me to practice from the holster and use my own ammo. Alas they went out of business last year.

Since it was near the city some of the clientale did make me nervous with their shooting habits and also thinking the idiots may try to rob the range of their money and guns. A number of years ago two gun shop employees were killed in a robbery in my area.

There was one incident I missed but was told about where an idiot's target fell down and he went strolling down the range to get it while other lanes were shooting.

Now I belong to a private sportsmen's club with an indoor range and quite a number of bays. First year membership was $100 and subsequent years are $60. Indoor range fee is $3.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Like $400-500 a year plus I believe $10 an hour. The only reason I joined was they were close to my work and they allowed me to practice from the holster and use my own ammo. Alas they went out of business last year.

Sounds like they starved themselves for buisness by asking for too much coin. Greedy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
6 month membership, $100

1 hour with membership, $10

1 hour without membership, $15

Discounts for league shooters, seniors and law enforcment.

This is the nearest one to me at 15 min away.

Not too many hoodlums.

Range is supervised by camera.

Nearest outdoor range is 50 min away and the antis want to shut it down because of noise. They say there are plenty of other ranges in town.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It's all about the cost of living. I'm in NJ. Very few public ranges. They cost about $20 an hour. I belong to two member only ranges. One is about $320 a year, the other is only $150.. The latter bought a LOT of land when it was still cheap.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here in St. Louis, there is a range that is a little run down, but is frequented by many police officers. The yearly fee is $240, but there does not appear to be a restriction on how double and triple taps. I have belonged to other ranges that required up to a three second delay between each shot, which was useless for training for a real world scenario. They will also permit holster draws when the line is slow. This is money well spent for me. I would like it cheaper, but as a previous poster put it. All the newbie yahoos put a lot of holes in the equipment and range.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Pet Peeve about clubs

moshooter said:
I have belonged to other ranges that required up to a three second delay between each shot, which was useless for training for a real world scenario. They will also permit holster draws when the line is slow. This is money well spent for me. I would like it cheaper, but as a previous poster put it. All the newbie yahoos put a lot of holes in the equipment and range.

Shot or load limit, that's a personal pet-peeve of mine. I used to belong to a club just down the road from my present club. They had a 6 round limit. And if anyone was there you couldn't shoot from the holster. The club president told me if no one was there I could practice what I wanted to, but you just about had to stakeout the place to get any range time alone.

State Game Lands have same kind of limit, plus you get a lot of yahoos at the game lands. Made me nervous to be there. Got a laugh one day at one yahoo with his banana clip AK in which he could only load 3.

I wish some of the clubs would figure out that part of their survival is going to be invested in action pistol, rifle, shotgun shooters. Another problem in my area is surburbia moving in next to clubs that have existed long before I was born, and then complaining about noise, safety, hours, etc.

My present club I can just grab a bay and practice outside. And every Thurs night they have action shooting practice.

Wish clubs could leave some decent target stands out for practice, but even with a private club they can't cause some yahoo will either shoot them up or steal them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts