MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently purchased an M & P .40, so I am new to the forum. I have been a police officer for about 5 years and I have only carried a Glock. After several trips to the range with the M & P, I really like this pistol. I do have one problem though. The gun disassembles with ease, but reassembly is difficult. As I slide the slide back on the rails, it seems as if part of the trigger assembly is catching the silver button inside the slide and the slide will not close all the way. I have to really force the slide to make it close. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I feel like if I have to keep forcing it closed, I will tear up something in the trigger assembly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Most likely you're doing something just a little off. The M&P reassembles easily, but not as easily as the Glock.

If the silver button is what I think it is, it's the ejector. With the Glock you usually ride the slide home in close contact with the slide rails. With the M&P it helps to lift up the rear of the slide so that the ejector doesn't hinder things.

Hope that helps, since I'm not really sure what button you're referring to.

Edit ( slapping forhead...button inside the slide, now I got it) I couldn't repeat what was happening to you until I started putting the pistol together slowly with my fingers at the points on the slide matching the two parts. Gues what, it locked up.. I did it again at normal speed and it went together normally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I wasn't really sure what the technical term was for it, so I just put silver button. I believe your right, it's the ejector.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forums! I have seen this slide reassembly issue in other threads, did a search and could not really find a good answer for you. Did find this, but I am not sure it will help.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...=slide+assembly

I have only had a few times where I had any problem reassembling the pistol. Usually I found I had bumped the sear disconnect back in place and checking to make sure it was still down has proved to be my cure. I am sure someone more knowledgeable be around shortly to give you a better answer.

p.s. Thanks for your service, have a great new year and stay safe out there!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
My take down lever wants to rotate out of position during reassembly and it will definitely make things difficult when out of position.

·
Registered
182 Posts
On my M&P9, the take down lever sometimes rotate when installing the slide assembly and that

may be in part on how I am holding the frame (angled vs level). Check that.

Is the spring guide rod assy centered when installing the slide? The first time I reassembled

my 9 the slide wouldn't go one all the way because the rod was slightly off.

There is some resistance at the end of installing the slide but you shouldn't have to force it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
TOF said:
My take down lever wants to rotate out of position during reassembly and it will definitely make things difficult when out of position.

Same here. That's where i think your problem may lie.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The silver round thing in the slide is the striker block (aka firing pin block). The ejector is the silver chunk of metal sticking up and pointing forward out of the frame.

As others have said, make sure the take down lever is still in the down position when reassembling. Also, make sure the guide rod isn't sticking way out in front of the barrel when you are pushing it all back together - it may be hanging up on the frame (just reposition it so that it is directly inline with the barrel) or the take down lever may be rotated a bit.

Once you get the hang of it, they go together very easily.

Hope that helps,

Dave

·
Registered
215 Posts
bhhinson said:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't really sure what the technical term was for it, so I just put silver button. I believe your right, it's the ejector.
Mine did the same thing in fact I had to reset the firing pin by pushing the silver slide and pulling the trigger upon engagement, after about a dozen or so times it got better and it went together with ease. What I think helped it the most was firing it about 200 - 250 times. Now when I put it back together the takedown lever sometimes goes back into place automatically.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same problem initially. The silver button is the passive striker safety. I depress it and push the striker arm forward (firing pin sticking out the breach face). That holds the striker safety button down and the slide goes on easily. My conclusion was that the striker safety button was hitting something on the frame. Pushing it in gives it enough clearance to allow the slide to go on.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the sight, mine goes together real easy and smooth but sometimes if I get it a hair side ways it hits just like you are saying so I just start all over with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts