MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ahh man! & I was feelin' so good good about me getting my 40 yesterday.

·
Registered
873 Posts
After having bought 3 M&Ps from Bud's last year for $439 when S&W was offering a $50 rebate AND two free mags, I just don't feel this is enough to push me over the edge. I guess they spoiled me with their prior offers.

This is the exact reason why rebates are ultimately bad for business and therefore bad for the economy. Consumers come to see them as an entitlement instead of a good deal, and sit on their wallets until the manufacturer caves and offers another one.

Sure, a rebate gives a short-term sales spike, but at the cost of lower profits and depressed future sales. It's like the morning rush from coffee and sugar...you're all fired up at 9:30, but by 11 am you've crashed and you need another jolt. It's an endless, downward spiral.

Rebates also damage the brand. If you offer rebate after rebate, consumers inevitably start to think that one of the following must be true:

- The product sucks and won't sell unless you sweeten the deal.

- The company is in such deep chit that they're desperate to move product (and may fold soon).

- The regular price is inflated and the "deal" is what the thing should cost anyway (like the silly fiction of MSRP).

All of these are bad for the company's perception in the marketplace.

Look at how much good rebates have done for the auto industry....

The deal that Smith offered last year is not relevant in any way. The market today is all that matters. Congratulations on getting a good deal last year...you did well.

Don't expect it to happen again. If you need or want a new gun, do your part to stimulate the economy, support gun manufacturers and just go buy it.

Having said that, though, naturally I'm going to wait a few weeks to pick up the 45c I was planning on buying anyway... I may know what's correct in economic terms, but I'm no different from anyone else. If I know there's a rebate coming soon, I'd be a fool not to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is the exact reason why rebates are ultimately bad for business and therefore bad for the economy. Consumers come to see them as an entitlement instead of a good deal, and sit on their wallets until the manufacturer caves and offers another one.

Sure, a rebate gives a short-term sales spike, but at the cost of lower profits and depressed future sales. It's like the morning rush from coffee and sugar...you're all fired up at 9:30, but by 11 am you've crashed and you need another jolt. It's an endless, downward spiral.

Rebates also damage the brand. If you offer rebate after rebate, consumers inevitably start to think that one of the following must be true:

- The company is in such deep chit that they're desperate to move product (and may fold soon).

- The regular price is inflated and the "deal" is what the thing should cost anyway (like the silly fiction of MSRP).

The deal that Smith offered last year is not relevant in any way. The market today is all that matters. Congratulations on getting a good deal last year...you did well.

Don't expect it to happen again. If you need or want a new gun, do your part to stimulate the economy, support gun manufacturers and just go buy it.

Having said that, though, naturally I'm going to wait a few weeks to pick up the 45c I was planning on buying anyway... I may know what's correct in economic terms, but I'm no different from anyone else. If I know there's a rebate coming soon, I'd be a fool not to take advantage of it.
Your rebate wisdom sure makes a lot of sense to me. Very well said
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
<thread highjack>

This is probably why Wal-Mart doesn't put out weekly ads; they'd rather just keep their prices reasonable all the time and put out ads only when they really want/need to bring in the shoppers, such as at Christmastime. It's also the reason Mervyn's went out of business; people learned to never buy anything there unless it was on sale.

</thread highjack>

Back on topic. I'm thinking I'll probably pick up a second 9c while the rebate is going on, and maybe a .45 middy and/or a .40 FS. So at least in my case, the rebate is going to do exactly as intended... stimulate sales.

·
Registered
113 Posts

I agree with everything you say about rebates, and I'm glad S&W has become less generous with their rebates on the M&P. Actually, I think they're well worth the prices being asked today. I intend to buy guns this year, but not M&Ps - I already have enough of them.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
To clarify;

When do the magazine rebates begin? I'm festering over a 45c to compliment my 45fs. I was fortunate enough to cash in on the rebate for the fs and would like to do the same for the c. Would someone be so kind as to spell it out for me?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
To clarify;

When do the magazine rebates begin? I'm festering over a 45c to compliment my 45fs. I was fortunate enough to cash in on the rebate for the fs and would like to do the same for the c. Would someone be so kind as to spell it out for me?

Read the thread title and/or the linked ad in the original post.

The information I posted has not been officially made available from S&W. I found it by sleuthing.
I posted it only on this forum to provide information to M&P people to help in purchase timing. Instead, I have seemed to have caused distress instead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Read the thread title and/or the linked ad in the original post.

The information I posted has not been officially made available from S&W. I found it by sleuthing.
I posted it only on this forum to provide information to M&P people to help in purchase timing. Instead, I have seemed to have caused distress instead.
Thanks Howard.

If I had paid more attention from the beginning....

Now to convince the Better Half of the necessity of another "child"

BTW, great job of "sleuthing." Here I thought I was a research guru of sorts. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. If you hear of anyone successfully utilizing the cupons please let us know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I called the number 1-866-963-7933 they said the Promotion ended in Dec 2008.
I wonder if I should send it in anyway since it says it ends in April 09?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I called the number 1-866-963-7933 they said the Promotion ended in Dec 2008.
I wonder if I should send it in anyway since it says it ends in April 09?

The last rebate program did, in fact, end in Dec 2008. What they told you was correct. The program that I discovered is not yet official and is for guns bought in the time frame of this thread's title. Check the add copy linked in the original post of this thread for full details. Wonder no more!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It's now official. I received this in an Email this morning.

S&W Club 1852 - First Look Load-Up Promotion

OFFER VALID FROM FEBRUARY 27 THROUGH APRIL 30, 2009

Offers cannot be combined with any other Smith & Wesson Promotion. Allow 8-10 weeks processing of coupon for extra magazines direct from Smith & Wesson. Smith & Wesson reserves the right to discontinue or change the promotion at any time. This offer is valid only in the United States. Void where prohibited by law, subject to tax or otherwise restricted. Additional terms and conditions apply. See rebate coupon for more information.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
37 Posts
Argh!!! Just ordered my 2nd MP Pro last week. It hasn't shipped yet but I imagine it will ship in the next day or 2 and arrive here before the 27th. Oh well, I can still ENJOY the gun!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ahhh! I waited and researched all that time and purchased my .40 a few days ago! I think I will try and send it in also! Maybe they will show pitty on me.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Good info: I'm looking to get an M&P pretty soon, hopefully at an upcoming show in Atl. Thanks!

Check prices before you buy at a show. The last year or so, the only benefit for me to going to a show is to handle a wider variety of stuff than a typical retail store. Of course, there is the instant gratification benefit that has struck me more than once, but usually for small amounts of cash.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts