MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. I thought I'd post this story, because I think it's a good indicator of the way Smith has been doing lately, both in marketing and design.

Yesterday (Sunday, Aug 12) I went to my sorta local gun store. Sorta local, as in 25 minute drive. Anyway, I get there and start looking around. Ammo prices are terrible. The place has no 7.62x54Russian brass case in stock, but that's probably because they've been selling Century surplus Mosins.

The place is hopping, as they're having a bucket sale. Buy a bird bucket (with padded seat top) for half price, fill it up, and get 20%off the contents of the bucket. Since their accessory mark-ups are horrendous, they're turning a tidy profit.

I scope the guns as usual, and I noticed that at all times, there's at least two employees showing the M&P's to several customers at a time. I was window shopping myself, but I had to stop and listen every now and then to the way the customers were reacting to the M&P's features. I think the feel seems to come off as the most direct feature the M&P has. Everyone likes the way it feels.

So I circle back around for the umpteenth time, trying to talk myself into buying a Ruger P89 they were selling for $299, and I see two guys, about 21-22 getting the spiel from a salesman. They seem to have a pretty good first impressions of it. I mind my own business and head down two floors into the basement to the reloading room. There is a small firing range right there that they rent guns and time for. As I circled around the racks noting the complete lack of 308 bullets and 54Russian brass, I see the two guys from upstairs step over to the Range-master with their rental sheet.

"M&P, eh?"

"Yes,sir."

"Most people who rent it end up buying one."

I'll freely admit, I smirked. I have spent my entire life behind the trends, and for once, I'm way ahead. I bought my M&P 40 one year ago-November, mainly because I liked the feel, and it was being pushed for $399 on sale. Now I take great pride in knowing that I made the right choice back then.

For all I know, those guys could have gone home with Glocks, but it doesn't take a practiced retail eye to see that Smith has a great product that is now virtually selling itself.

Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
708 Posts
ive said it once ive said it about 10 times buy S&W STOCK!!! i bought it at 10$, it recently hit 22$ish, right now its around $19.80 only if i had more moola and invested in about another 1000 shares..

Now a little story, i was at a shop about a month ago, and im lookin around and some guy walks in, and asks about the XD, and i hear the salesman call another salesman asking for some number because it said they had a XD in some caliber i cant remember... my first thought was its the advertisement, magazine ads must have caught that guy..

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm seeing the same trend in Smith sales. Between the 642, 9 and 40VE and MP they are doing very well as a company. The price of the stock was $4-5 three years ago.

·
Registered
70 Posts
S&W's seems to have a smart and aggressive marketing campaign going for the M&P. I was in a local gunstore a few days ago and noticed a .40 M&P for sale in the used gun case. My first reaction was surprise that someone had already traded an M&P. I asked one of the sales clerks about it and he said that the gun was still NIB. Apparently S&W gave all of the sales clerks in the store free M&P's. One traded his for a shotgun. According to the salesman, S&W ran a promotion where they gave free guns to the sales clerks in the stores that sold the most M&P's in their region.

Don't know if that is the reason, but the sales clerks in the local gun store are big fans of the M&P and have been talking them up to customers. Of course, its easy to say positive things about an M&P, particularly after you've shot it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts