MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at work last night and my buddy, who is by no means a S&W fan, asks me, "So what are you gonna do when you get your .45 and the recoil is twice what you can handle?"

My response, "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it."

I have had no problems with recoil on my 9mm, but 9mm and .45 are a bit different when it comes to recoil.

How would you guys rate the recoil on the M&P 45? I haven't heard of anything about the recoil being unmanageable, but anything you guys can tell me would be great.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The M&P45 is one of the softest-shooting .45 ACP pistols on the market. I had a chance to shoot one of the early prototypes (SLA frame) with a group of other industry professionals and everyone present was astounded at the controllability and comfort.

Furthermore, contrary to popular belief, most experienced shooters find the .45 as easy (or easier) to shoot at speed as .40 S&W ... at least when comparing full power factory ammunition. The .45 might push harder, but the gun won't be moving around in your hand as much so tracking the sights and making followup shots will be easier & faster.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also believe the M&P is one of, if not the softest recoiling .45s I've ever shot...and I've shot my share of 1911s, which are usually fairly "soft".

FWIW- I've owned a H&K USP, a SIG 220ST, A SIG GSR...(and I've shot the Glock 21 and numerous Colt 1911s on more than one occasion)...the M&P is the softest recoiling of all those, IMO.

I think you'll be astounded and quite pleased(so will your buddy) when you start blowing the 10 ring out with your new .45. :wink:

With regard to recoil...for a polymer pistol, it is outstanding.

Congrats...you will love it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad to hear that. I wasn't too worried, but I just didn't want to get into an argument with him about it since he's so anti Smith.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
PantherMan said:
I'm glad to hear that. I wasn't too worried, but I just didn't want to get into an argument with him about it since he's so anti Smith.

Usually there is no point in having even a remotely similar conversation with a person like that. If they just won't listen, just don't even talk about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I try not to. He's big into 1911's, and me, not so much. Sometimes it's kinda hard to avoid it...seeing as how we live in the same apartment.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was expecting a lot more recoil out of the 45 but have to say it's comparable to the 40.

ToddG said:
The .45 might push harder, but the gun won't be moving around in your hand as much so tracking the sights and making followup shots will be easier & faster.

That's something I did notice .... the 40 have more muzzle flip where there 45 pushes back more & not so much up. It's like it has the same amount of recoil power wise just disperses it in a different way.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
greatzippy said:
That's something I did notice .... the 40 have more muzzle flip where there 45 pushes back more & not so much up. It's like it has the same amount of recoil power wise just disperses it in a different way.

The difference is that a straight back push doesn't require as much effort to track the sights compared to a lot of muzzle flip. You might feel the push but you see the flip and it's the flip that determines how fast you can shoot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be a dissenter. I'm a new owner of a M&P 45, but have many other .45s. While I do feel it is somewhat softer than a 1911, my Glock 21, 21SF, and 30 feel softer than the S&W. Now, I've only fired about 500 rds through it, and the trigger needs some lightening, but for me while it is a comfortable grip, it just seems to recoil more than the Glocks.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yea, my 45s are much like my 44 magnum... it pushes back hard (relatively speaking of course... obviously the 45 is no where near my 44 mag in felt recoil), but barely has any kind of muzzle lift, and the muzzle lift I do experience, is not worth talking about and/or cause to take time to re-sight.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here is my 2 cents: I like shooting my M&P45 more then my M&P40. I how ever have shot .45's more then .40's. The M&P40 was only the second .40S&W I have ever owned. I handle my 45 much better but still enjoy both!!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
you are an adult, .45 recoil being "twice what you can handle" compared to a 9mm is jsut evidence an idiot has his mouth open. .45 is not that bad, just different. .45 pushes more, and 9mm is snappier.

For a quick look around he net, the stoutest 45+P I could find is 490ft/lbs of energy. The stoutest 9mm +P i could find numbers for is 466. Staggering difference eh?

For comparison, winchester winclean, whic is a pretty light 9mm load, is 352ft/lbs.

Hands down, the softest shooting .45 i ever ran into was the beretta cougar in .45. The rotating barrel system combined with the low pressure cartridge with a hevy bullet is downright mellow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have done most of my .45 shooting with a 1911. Never thought the recoil was an issue.

My M&P.45 is noticeably lighter in the recoil department than a 1911 and this gun with the small insert fits my hand like it was custom made for me. I am sure that no matter what size hand you have you will find the right fit with one of the inserts.

With good fit and the M&P barrel lower in the grip I think you will find the recoil no way near what you friend thinks is coming. I have never shot a 9mm but the M&P45 is not heavier than my .40 guns. Less if anything. IMHO

Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'll see your dissent and raise you. :wink: I find the M&P .45 to be a softer shooter than my Glock 21 SF and because its more ergonomic easier to fire quickly and accurately as well.

The .45 has a hard push recoil compared to the snappy recoil of .40. I prefer the hard push. But i have never found the recoil of a .45 very hard to deal with. I really didn't like shooting the .40 until I got my M&P .40 because of the snappy recoil.

kpblade said:
I'll be a dissenter. I'm a new owner of a M&P 45, but have many other .45s. While I do feel it is somewhat softer than a 1911, my Glock 21, 21SF, and 30 feel softer than the S&W. Now, I've only fired about 500 rds through it, and the trigger needs some lightening, but for me while it is a comfortable grip, it just seems to recoil more than the Glocks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The M&P45 is a sweetie on recoil. Drops right back to target.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How would you guys rate the recoil on the M&P 45? I haven't heard of anything about the recoil being unmanageable, but anything you guys can tell me would be great.

Recoil is soft for a 45. Muzzle flip is moderate.

·
Registered
147 Posts
How does the polymer help recoil and muzzle flip?? I thought the polymer pistols were known for making recoil worse because it "flexed" when fired....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts