MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaned my new M&P9c yesterday - I have not shot it yet - it was real dirty.

The recoil rod/spring has some yellow paint on the end of the spring - both of the recoil springs for my full size M&P40 have blue paint on one end - I thought this was to ID the spring so they don't get them mixed up between guns (at the factory) - and also assumed it was so the spring would be installed the "right way" on the rod.

The compact has the paint on the end towards the muzzel - both my full size springs have the paint on the other end of the spring - toward the grip.

The question is - does it matter which way the spring goes on the rod?

I know when I was looking for a replacement spring for my full size some of the after market springs were required to be installed a certain way - my Kahr PM9 recoil spring also is specific about this.

I undestand that some springs have the same spacing between the coils across their whole length - and in this case it would not matter which way the spring is installed -

But other springs have wider spacing (between the coils) on one end - and the coils space is reduced on the other. This is the way my PM9 is designed - and the narrow spaced coil goes on the rod first.

Am I the only one with paint on the muzzel end of the spring?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 40c has yellow paint on muzzle end of spring ... I'm keeping it that way ... but would like to know if it is important ... also ... my spring is almost at rest when installed ... which barely puts the slide in lock after press check ... anyone experience this? John

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jfinet said:
My 40c has yellow paint on muzzle end of spring ... I'm keeping it that way ... but would like to know if it is important ... also ... my spring is almost at rest when installed ... which barely puts the slide in lock after press check ... anyone experience this? John

I also noticed the small amount of effort required to place the recoil rod/spring back in the gun after cleaning - less effort when compared to my M&P40 full size. I did not see this as a problem - my slide stays all the way closed.

This is the only advantage I see of a captured recoil spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts