MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I don't have too many rounds through my M&P 45 yet (about 250 or so), but one thing seems to be universal:

It throws brass a long way.

Now, I realize that is far better than not ejecting the brass at all. However, the recoil spring seems to be rather weak. Even with 185 gr. loads in the 800 fps range, it is launching brass 10-12 feet. Anyone else have this issue? If the answer is a resounding "no", then I'll check with S&W. Certainly, bad springs show up every so often ... although this brass-launching phenomenon may actually be a design "feature".

Thanks,

dogfood

·
Registered
308 Posts
dogfood said:
It throws brass a long way.

Thanks,

dogfood

I usually shoot mine standing next to the passenger side tailgate of my F150. From this position, the brass usually lands on the drivers side wheel well in the back of the truck (handy for collecting the brass!). In all, probably less than 8'.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine throws it a long way also. A little tough gathering it up but it doesn't hit me in the face like I hear some people complain about.

Guess it's hard to please everyone.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Just lay a tarp out where it throws them. If they don't fall underfoot they won't get squished making them easier to reload.

:twisted:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

My concern was not so much centered around finding/collecting the brass - although since I do reload, I try diligently to recover as much as I can. The bigger issue to me is whether I have too much slide velocity, and in turn, is this hard on the frame? I don't know ... I think I'll contact S&W just to see what they say.

Meanwhile, a few weeks back I contacted Wolff via email, since they make replacement springs for the 9mm and .40 M&P. I inquired as to whether they are looking at the .45. I received a quick response from a Mr. John Andrews, who said they were aware of a need for such a product, but it was not currently on the schedule. Too many projects, too little time, I guess.

Side note: The Wolff springs are conventional coil, as opposed to the odd set-up S&W has in the M&P pistols. Therefore, a Wolff guide rod is required in the 9mm/.40 ... and presumably will be required in the .45 as well, whenever we see it ... which probably means we're probably looking at a $40 upgrade.

dogfood

·
Registered
291 Posts
Since I seldom stand in one place to shoot, laying out a tarp is not practical. Just have to take time to look all over creation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts