MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory sights are just ok for me, but not that easy to pick up.

What is about the best option for a very easy to see front sight? Fiber optic, perhaps?

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you go with fiber optic sights try to figure out first which color/size works best for you. My 5.25" XDM 9MM has an orange/amber FO front sight. I hated it. Looks like big old orange sitting out there in front of me.

A few years later I bought a used CZ Tactical Sport that had a smaller diameter green fiber optic rod in the front sight. Great! I works great! Love it. Bright enough to make it easy to see but not so big/bright as to be a glare source or cause issues with the front/rear sight alignment.

I like green. Some people see amber/orange better. Try to check out different colors/diameters of fiber optic rod first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I very highly recommend Diamond Speed Sights if your eyes are like mine and fading with age. Not only are the sights larger than most other sights on the market, they are actually some of the most precise. This is done by using diamond shapes instead of round dots, and the shooter simply needs to line up the points of the diamonds on the front and rear sight, while keeping your target sitting on the infinity point of the front sight. It is almost like having cross-hairs on the pistol.

I put Diamond Speed Sights on all my pistols that accept them. Once I got hooked there was no turning back.

PS. This image shows just how reflective the sights are in a regular daylight (indoor) setting. They also have tritium version, but I have not needed those sense I utilize a weapon light for evening work.

Reactions: DHart

·
Registered
53 Posts
HiViz fiber optics.

You can change the color of the rod easily.

Green, red or white

Buy front sight only.

HiViz H3 sights have tritium for night sights plus a colored circle on the front sight.

I have them on two guns.

One of those I use for IDPA is a 2.0 9 compact.

At 79yo they really help.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like a Tritium fiber optic sight set, still do, but recently I got a pistol that had Ameriglo night sights.
That reddish orange ring around the front Tritium capsule is fantastic in the day, it really jumps out at you.
Not the best pic of it, but here it is:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I very highly recommend Diamond Speed Sights if your eyes are like mine and fading with age. Not only are the sights larger than most other sights on the market, they are actually some of the most precise. This is done by using diamond shapes instead of round dots, and the shooter simply needs to line up the points of the diamonds on the front and rear sight, while keeping your target sitting on the infinity point of the front sight. It is almost like having cross-hairs on the pistol.

I put Diamond Speed Sights on all my pistols that accept them. Once I got hooked there was no turning back.

PS. This image shows just how reflective the sights are in a regular daylight (indoor) setting. They also have tritium version, but I have not needed those sense I utilize a weapon light for evening work.

gglass, are the Diamond sights a little taller than the stock sights?

·
Registered
625 Posts
gglass, are the Diamond sights a little taller than the stock sights?
They could be slightly higher to accommodate the diamond shape, but I never did measure to check that. If they are taller, you really don't notice it during carry or during firing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
They could be slightly higher to accommodate the diamond shape, but I never did measure to check that. If they are taller, you really don't notice it during carry or during firing.
OK, thanks. I just shot my new M&P 22 for the first time yesterday and the stock sights are very difficult for me to see, and they are just barely tall enough to clear the suppressor. A few thousandths taller would be fine. I'm going to call Speed Sights now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
DHart,

Is defensive/night shooting a factor, or is this for range use? My suggestions would be significantly different for those two uses.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use Glow-On which will function as really bright night sights if you "charge" the sights for several minutes with a super bright flash light AND you can't believe how incredibly bright they are in daylight!

One of my shooting buddies was having a really hard time with the rather dull white dots on her pistol so I did the Glow-On treatment for her. She was ecstatic.

If you put a couple coats of clear nail polish after you have the proper number of coats (dots) of the Glow-On and it has cured, you have pretty darned permanent bright gun sights. For less than $10 for the little bottle

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use Glow-On which will function as really bright night sights if you "charge" the sights for several minutes with a super bright flash light AND you can't believe how incredibly bright they are in daylight!

One of my shooting buddies was having a really hard time with the rather dull white dots on her pistol so I did the Glow-On treatment for her. She was ecstatic.

If you put a couple coats of clear nail polish after you have the proper number of coats (dots) of the Glow-On and it has cured, you have pretty darned permanent bright gun sights. For less than $10 for the little bottle
Just ordered a bottle of Glow On original. Also have a set of the Speed Sights coming for my M&P 22. Old eyes need help.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DHart,

Is defensive/night shooting a factor, or is this for range use? My suggestions would be significantly different for those two uses.
Defensive shooting and most likely not in dark conditions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Received my bottle of Glow-On a couple days ago, but have not tried it yet. Today my new Speed Sights arrived in the mail and they are now installed on my M&P 22.
They are not specifically made for the 22 so it took a good bit of fitting with the files, but in my opinion they now fit pretty well and I think I am going to like them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
^^^ If you think you like them now, just wait until you use them at the range. Once you get used to aligning the diamond points and placing the front sight's top-point where you want the bullet to go, you will be amazed at how accurate and quick you can actually be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts