MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first handgun since the .22 plinker I had as a kid. After a lot of research and trying friends guns at the range, my wife and I went with an M&P 2.0 9mm full size. Our timing wasn’t great because we bought at the high of the ammo run and by the time we were able to buy ammo, the stay at home order started so we've had it for a month and haven’t fired a shot.

Any recommendations on maintenance to do before our first trip to the range when things finally open up? I did do a disassemble with a wipe down and put some oil on the spots mentioned in the user guide. We’ve also picked up some snap caps to practice the slide. (My wife wants to make sure she can load and rack it if she needs to in an emergency). Any thing else we should do?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on your first handgun purchase, very good choice :)
C’mon down to Texas, ranges and gun shops open as “essential” businesses here, as they well should be! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I once heard that every new gun should have the slide racked 500-1000 times to help minimize stovepipes. I don't know if that would be necessary with an M&P. But I tried it with my son's Stoeger that was getting one or more stovepipes every magazine and it made a huge difference. I suppose it couldn't hurt to give a new recoil spring a little exercise. It also would help your wife get used to the amount of force necessary to rack the slide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Jigo. Hopefully the ranges here in MO will open soon. AB - thats a good idea. She has had some problems racking the slide so I'll try this to loosen it up some.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've got two 1.0 models, a Shield 9MM and two 2.0 models.

Never a stove pipe or a feeding type malfunction. Terrible failure to fire issues on one of the 1.0s (early model) but no feed/ejection issues.

I agree with the field stripping/cleaning/inspection/lubing prior to the first range trip.

Lots of places for on line purchase of ammo. Here's one.

another one.

Prices are not good compared to what they were a couple/three months ago, but the ammo is out there.

No idea about the shipping costs, but some of the sellers have local outlets (like Bass Pro or Cabelas - if you live near one.)

Good luck with your new pistol.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Try a few different ammo to see what you and your pistol like best.

For training, an inexpensive FMJ in the same weight as your selected defense ammo will do.

For defense, Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, or Hornady Critical Defense are good choices. Most offer different bullet weights, so you may need to buy a box and try it to see what works best. After making an initial selection, you should shoot a significant amount to confirm the pistol will cycle every time. If there are hiccups you need to determine the problem or try a different ammo. It needs to work every time.

As far as lube goes, I like to use a light synthetic grease like Super Lube sparingly on the slide rails. Just a bit. It stays put and smooths the cycling of the slide. Sometimes the mags can benefit from some dry lube.

For cleaning and lubing hard to reach areas, Hornady 1-Shot is a cleaner/lube/corrosion inhibitor that really excels in all areas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got two 1.0 models, a Shield 9MM and two 2.0 models.

Never a stove pipe or a feeding type malfunction. Terrible failure to fire issues on one of the 1.0s (early model) but no feed/ejection issues.

I agree with the field stripping/cleaning/inspection/lubing prior to the first range trip.

Lots of places for on line purchase of ammo. Here's one.

another one.

Prices are not good compared to what they were a couple/three months ago, but the ammo is out there.

No idea about the shipping costs, but some of the sellers have local outlets (like Bass Pro or Cabelas - if you live near one.)

Good luck with your new pistol.
Thank you. I scored some FMJ at a local farm supply store and the found some more FMJ and some JHP online. Tried to order from Bass Pro but they kept delaying and delaying my order but I got lucky with one of their competitors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you. I scored some FMJ at a local farm supply store and the found some more FMJ and some JHP online. Tried to order from Bass Pro but they kept delaying and delaying my order but I got lucky with one of their competitors.
If by competitor, you mean Cabelas, they were acquired by Bass Pro in a merger a few years back. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If by competitor, you mean Cabelas, they were acquired by Bass Pro in a merger a few years back. :)
No, it was a smaller sports/outdoor chain in the Midwest. I’ve been checking their site and it seems like they’ve stopped getting in new ammo shipments though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I ordered some Speer Lawman FMJ from Natchez at the beginning of all this craziness.
One month later they still hadn't shipped it. I did get a lot of excuses from them though.
Canceled that order, and ended up buying a bunch of 100 packs of Federal from a local chain (Sportsman's Warehouse).
A couple weeks ago I ordered a case of Buckshot from SG Ammo. Ordered it on a Saturday evening, it was on my doorstep Wednesday afternoon. You won't get excuses from SG Ammo, just fast service.

I sure like my full-size 9, I could never get sub 2 inch 25 yard groups with any of the FS .40's I had.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts