MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a CCW class / instructor in the Tampa area? A couple of buds and myself are looking into getting our CCWs...

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Wyoming Antelope Club, in Clearwater. Nice facility.

JeffWard

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd check with Shoot Straight or call them at 813-627-8550

I took my "class" from Shoot Straight on US301 near MLK Blvd. The "instructor" was professional, however when I took it over a year ago, it was a very, very basic class that included:

Gun Safety

FL Statute Review (those that are about definitions of weapon, concealed, etc)

Lastly there was a firearm familiarity "test"; 15 shots at 3yrds and 10 at 7yrds. All they really care about is safe handling and if you can keep most of your rounds in a silhouette.

I would recommend it as the bare necessities to obtain a CWP in FL; however, I would not consider any of it "training"

·
Registered
205 Posts
Are you looking for a class to fulfill the permit requirement, or are you looking for training on concealed carry?

I ask because from almost everyone I've spoken to in Florida, the required "class" doesn't really teach you much and is more of a formality.

If you are looking for training in that area, there should be some decent ones to choose from, considering the units stationed on that Air Force base.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I did take a class already (my original post is almost eight months old). I terms of the lecture, it was a basic class. But the range instruction was pretty good. I was given some really good tips on my stance and so fourth. In the end, I was getting the tightest groups ever.

So all my forms, finger prints, passport photos are ready to and have been ready for months. I just have to send it all in !!!

Thanks for all the input nonetheless.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah, I did take a class already (my original post is almost eight months old). I terms of the lecture, it was a basic class. But the range instruction was pretty good. I was given some really good tips on my stance and so fourth. In the end, I was getting the tightest groups ever.

So all my forms, finger prints, passport photos are ready to and have been ready for months. I just have to send it all in !!!

Thanks for all the input nonetheless.

I'm an idiot and didn't notice the date.

Glad you found something worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
In the Tampa area... for training? LOL...

Contact Super Dave Harrington... Just look him up.

He trains all over the country, and you better not be squeamish. He's "unique", but one of the best in the world. I shoot with him a few nights a month.

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the Clearwater area, I would say try S2 Institute Tim O'Rourke is a awesome instructor you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Paul,

On S2.....good to hear. I was looking at that for additional training with a friend. Have you or anyone personally attended?

·
Registered
391 Posts
In the Tampa area... for training? LOL...

Contact Super Dave Harrington... Just look him up.

He trains all over the country, and you better not be squeamish. He's "unique", but one of the best in the world. I shoot with him a few nights a month.

Jeff

Jeff,

Dave Harrignton is based in Florida? Didnt know that...

Hrmph, wondering if he would be interested in doing a class down here in South Florida.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts