MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some advice on when i should re-oil my pistol. I haven't been to the range in ages, and i carry my weapon about 75% of the time. And i carry a kel-tec .380 100% of the time which never gets fired often either. So my question is simple, when should i do a re-oil, besides the basic cleaning i do every few weeks?

thanks in advance for the reply's guys!

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you are carrying your Kel-Tec daily.. I would think that wiping it down once a week to keep the dust and grime down would be sufficient. Degrease and lube it (lightly) once a month or so, and you should be fine.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i assume the same for the m&p would apply?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think so. If you are wearing your pistol on your body, day in and day out it's going to get dirty.. so wiping it down seems like a good idea at least once a week. As far as lubing goes, my experience is that oil is a dirt magnet! Your guns only need enough oil to perform, any more than that is just going to attract grime.. grime is not good.

Personally.. I clean my guns more often than is really needed.. it is a labor of love.. I like guns.. I especially like my guns..

Raymond

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply, i had a rough idea, but i was at the gun show and was eaves dropping on a convo about a glock guy over lubing, but never got a chance to ask what was a good recommendation for a full time carry weapon.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I think everyone's a little different and also depends on the lube you are using.

Some oils dry or run out pretty quicly and will need reapplied others are so thick (grease) they stay right where you put them.

Then there is the Lint factor and that is where everyone is different you'll just have to keep checking your weapon to see how cruddy it gets.

·
Registered
111 Posts
brownells alp on the slide, locking shoulder and striker

couple drops of clp in the trigger assemble and firing pin saftey plunger

works great

alp doesnt run or dry up and is very slick

:wink:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
Some oils dry or run out pretty quicly and will need reapplied others are so thick (grease) they stay right where you put them.

A big +1 on that. SOme guns need more lube, some need less. THe M&P is definitely one of those that doesn't NEED much, but may feel nicer when properly lubed. Lubes also hang around varying times like said. I'd treat your guns to your preferred lube, and take them apart every day or two for a week or so. See if the lube evaporates completely or not.

For example, I have a 1911 that behaves like crap with CLP or even light grease if it has sat long enough to dry out. But use a heavier grease, and it runs like a top and can sit in the safe for 6 months without needing lube before use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts