MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering trying a red dot , I have a 2.0 3.6 inch in 9mm , I have thought about slide milling but that's a big expense and not reversible. Has anyone used an adapter plate like this Red Dot Adapter/Mount for Smith & Wesson® M&P Pistol and what did you think of it ?
If I do like the dot I will have my slide milled for it at a later time but that is another topic for later .

·
Registered
330 Posts
That would require removing your sight. Which could possible involve buying a sight pusher or having someone do it unless it comes out easily.

I’d either buy a CORE for a range gun, or have the slide milled. There would not be a need to reverse it if you had it done so a CORE cover plate would go on if you removed the red dot.

But yes, having your slide milled is expensive and would require changing sights if you want it to co-witness; I wouldn’t do it. I’d put that money towards a gun already set-up for it.

But that’s just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Removing the rear sight on an M&P isn't that difficult. I've done it on both 1.0 and 2.0 models using a light hammer and a brass punch with the slide clamped in a padded vise. Be sure to loosen the set screw first!

Outer Impact EGW and others make adapter plates for the M&P for a wide range of red dots. They require some fitting but a small triangular file is all you need. There are several Youtube videos showing the procedure.

I have an EGW adapter on an M&P9 2.0 mounting a Vortex Venom and it works very well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I am still considering this or maybe picking up a Sig 365xl which is optic cut already. I wish there was some place I could even rent a gun for a at a range with an optic just to see how I like them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts