MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a red dot sight on a 22A-1, (S&W)? If so, what brand and how do you like it. I am thinking of buying the BSA 30MM red dot for my little pistol. I know the practice and sighting is totally different than my M&P 40, but they look like fun to use on the .22

·
Registered
26 Posts
Red dot on a 22-A

tjq,

I have the BSA 30mm on my S&W 22-A. The scope dramatically reduced the size of my groups. I am by no means a bullseye shooter. I just use the 22 to improve my trigger control.

I have had a problem with the scope. The plate just under the battery came loose, putting the dot out of commision (the solder joints have failed). This after 800 rounds of "high recoil" .22 caliber. I think I may have done better to invest a bit more initially in the scope.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How do you guys like the 22A?? I almost bought one this morning but figured I would do some research first. Local store here has them on sale for 189.00. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think that's a decent price. I own one too, but ever since I got my M&P40c, I kinda stopped plinking the 0.22. It's a nice gun to have though.

I bought a TASCO red dot, but I never could get it fit right on the rail. Might be me, I fiddled with it for an hour, and then gave up. The scope still resides in my desk drawer.

I also didn't (at the time) have time or equipment to get it calibrated properly (the scope).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a 22A and love it. It has a sighttron reddot on it, of course did a trigger job on it. It is one fast pin/plate gun.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I went to the range yesterday, and took my 22A, after neglecting it for almost a year. I mounted the red dot for the first time, sighted it in, and I've fallen in love with this plinker again. The range only goes to 25 yards, and I was able to get sub 2" groups. This, for me, is really good

However, comparing it to my 3.5lb M&P40c trigger, the 22A stock trigger felt like a 20lb monster.

What would a good poundage be for this type of pistol? Something less then 3.5lb even?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 22a is a pistol that is so much more for the money in my opinion. Some folks put them down because of the low price.

I think mine is the ultimate. Box stock and a great shooter. I had a red dot on it, but all it did was enhance my perception of my shakes.

I then put a small pistol scope on it. I didn't like the narrow field of view.

It's an open sight gun now, but I'm thinking about installing higher quality optics. I went cheap the first time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts