MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to forum and hope to learn as I go. I have a fill size M&P 9 2.0. And would like to purchase an optic for it. What’s the best way to go ? New slide and get it cut ? Maybe purchase a slide already cut ? Where is a good place to purchase a new slide ? Best optic green dot or red ?
The reason I want an optic is I have a slight astigmatism and it’s getting harder to focus with just the plain factory iron sights.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
444 Posts
Try a couple different sights before you get to deep into it. I have Trijicon RMR's on several guns and my wife and one guy I shoot with have astigmatism in one eye and have a hard time with the RMR, they say it looks like a star.
Once you decide if one will work, getting the slide cut is the best option to mount it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
DP Gunworks can mill your slide, highly recommend him.

I have a couple Holosuns, a 407 and 507, both are nice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Is it DB Gunworks, or DP Custom Works?

I've got a CZ P09 slide at DP Custom Works now being milled for the red dot, back up rear sight, front/rear back up sights installed and refinishing of the slide. Might be ready soon. When I get it, I'll share pics of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are some good places to purchase another slide ? I’d like to keep my original slide as is. Is there a place that sells a complete slide already cut with all parts and barrel ? Aftermarket ? Original S&W ?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Consider an adapter that replaces the rear sight and fits in its dovetail. EGW and several others make them for a wide variety of red dot "footprints". They are much less expensive than having the slide milled and much more versatile. Also, there is no permanent modification to the slide and you can go back to iron sights if you wish.

Try one of them first and see how you like a red dot. You can also have the slide milled later if you decide to.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Try a couple different sights before you get to deep into it. I have Trijicon RMR's on several guns and my wife and one guy I shoot with have astigmatism in one eye and have a hard time with the RMR, they say it looks like a star.
Once you decide if one will work, getting the slide cut is the best option to mount it.
+1 on the Astigmatism...I have the same problem...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an astigmatism, progressive vision, and keratoconus (that means I see three dots). Unfortunately I cannot see iron sights.

Fortunately, I have no problem with my RMR or SROs. I know the pronounced primary dot and nail it quite well. I don’t even think about it

In a DGU it would be a real benefit for me. I have 5 and 6.5 MOAs. Smaller dots take to much time for me to find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank all of you for your fast and knowledgeable replies. Definitely have some good starts as to what I need to try.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What are some good places to purchase another slide ? I’d like to keep my original slide as is. Is there a place that sells a complete slide already cut with all parts and barrel ? Aftermarket ? Original S&W ?
Check with Midwest Gunworks. They sell them, but not sure if anything is in stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts