MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested in shooting reduced power loads in the M&P, you might not be aware that aftermarket guide rods and springs for the Glock 17 fit the M&P. I'm running a 13# ISMI spring in my M&P and just received an 11# ISMI spring from Brownells to try in my wife's M&P.

--Lin

Edited to add that a report on the 11# spring is posted below.

--Lin

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
good info, I might have to look into that!

·
Registered
95 Posts
rledwards said:
If anyone is interested in shooting reduced power loads in the M&P, you might not be aware that aftermarket guide rods and springs for the Glock 17 fit the M&P. I'm running a 13# ISMI spring in my M&P and just received an 11# ISMI spring from Brownells to try in my wife's M&P.

--Lin
Wow - Didn't know that. Thanks for letting us know.

From the Wolff Gunsprings Site:

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/GlockNF.html#G17%20Recoil

This is a copy of the information from Wolff:

(For Glock 17)

* Reduced Power...: 12, 14, 15 and 16 Lb.

* Factory Standard.: 17 Lb.

* Extra Power.........: 19, 20, 22 and 24 Lb.

Above recoil springs.....Stock No. 437xx....$ 7.89 ea

Please Note: Replace the "xx" in the stock number with the pound rating of spring.

-Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can you reuse the factory guide rod and replace the springs or do have to replace the guide rod with a glock guide rod?

Same subject how do you remove the recoil spring from the factory guide rod?

THanks

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Just letting everyone know, ---disclaimer---

putting not enough power in a case can cause detonation instead of burn, be very careful when loading reduced power loads!!!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Jester said:
Just letting everyone know, ---disclaimer---

putting not enough power in a case can cause detonation instead of burn, be very careful when loading reduced power loads!!!

You know, I have seen lots of people say that. Haven't seen one person actually provide an example of it happening.

I think the general concensus is that it's a myth with some real-world mistakes being misdiagnosed.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Jester,

I fully understand the disclaimer and agree with posting it here.

BUT I have to agree with Raz-0 here. I Know Speer did some research on this and was absoulty unable to reproduce the results.

I personally believe this to be people unwilling to admit they may have made a mistake in their reloading.

Dan

ps If we need to have a discussion/ debate on this Let's start another thread. I am sure I could dig up my info again.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I've seen in in a 38 special that the guy wanted a soft target load. It blew the top of the cyl off, and busted up his hand pretty bad.

Wouldn't say it if I hadn't seen it for myself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jester said:
I've seen in in a 38 special that the guy wanted a soft target load. It blew the top of the cyl off, and busted up his hand pretty bad.

Wouldn't say it if I hadn't seen it for myself.
Can he be 100% sure that he didn't double charge the load?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jester,

Are you saying you (or he) are positive that there is no chance he double charged a case?

--Lin

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I am 100% sure. This was my cousin. He used to compete with the 38, after that mishap he went 1911.

We are talking 2 gr or less, and even if he double charged it, it would still be a full charge. Was a long time ago.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rledwards said:

--Lin

OK, here is the report on the 11# spring. Too light! The 13# works great and recoil is soft. The 11# makes the recoil feel sharper.

Note that this is with reduced loads, 147 gr. 9mm subsonic loads at 130 power factor.

--Lin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts