MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im trying to buy some ear protection for my first set. I have searched and noticed more liked the peltor's.

I tried on these other earmuffs at my work (doesnt say the rating) but when i put them on i had this peircing feeling and i couldnt even focus or do much i took them off and i was like WTF!

Has this happened to anyone? What is softer i guess to my ears, i dont think i could use this i couldnt focus.

Any other recommendations? I know i could go to the store but i have and i like the design of the peltor.

Thanks.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I have the same problem, that's why I just use ear plugs

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just purchased some Proears Ultra33 which seem to be fairly comfortable. I still use ear plugs under them.

PP

·
Registered
54 Posts
For the outdoor range I use Remington muffs with a 31 DB rating. On the indoor range I usually use both plugs and the muffs. Remember your hearing cannot be replaced, only supplemented.

Dennis

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am currently using Silencio ear muffs... And when I am at an indoor range, I use plugs and the muffs... I used to have a really nice pair of Peltors I got from my old job at the steel mill.. But my dog got a hold of them off my work bench.. And well.. I guess they were pretty tasty.. LOL..

Ben

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Just find something comfortable with a redux of 30 or more!! If they are not comfy, what is the sense of buying them, yes go to the store and try some on!!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
My wife uses Howard Leight Leightening L3 muffs. I've used them on occasion and they are very comfortable and have a Noise Reduction Rating of 30. If I was going to buy muffs, I would definitely get this set. I normally use custom plugs which also have a NRR of 30.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I buy E-A-R brand earsoft blasts by the case. Disposable foam plugs with 33db NRR.

They work nicely.

I started with plugs becuase I found muffs would gap with some glasses and that's like wearing nothing.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
raz-0 said:
I started with plugs becuase I found muffs would gap with some glasses and that's like wearing nothing.
Good point. It gets even worse when you're wearing a hat.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use both plugs and muffs at the indoor range. Outdoor just muffs. I have heard plugs alone is bad because the vibration still gets to the inside of your ear and can do damage. The muffs protect against that.

·
Registered
599 Posts
ear plugs

We have a Dr here in town that makes pugs to fit. Also try Harbor Freight has very good

electronic ones for under $25. Look them up on the net, they may have a store near you

also. Good luck

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just wear a pair of custom made ear plugs that cost me about $40. Once thier in I don't even feel them and can pretty much wear them all day with no issues. The DB rating on them is 30 or something like that so thier not bad. Plus they work great as I have to wear perscription glasses under my shootin glasses .... muffs just don't work well with that combo.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also wear plugs and muffs. I find that I can take my muffs off and still talk/hear better, yet I'm still protected from other shooters.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
ditto on the ear muffs + plugs! I find that i stop flinching when i started wearing both, and could hear others just as well by removing the one side.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently bought a pair of the Caldwell Sound-Right Es-85 electronic stereo ear muffs for about $35. They seem to work pretty well so far, but I think they are about the same as these from Harbor Freight. Sure look similar.

The Caldwells are probably a bit prettier, but not $15 prettier!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just invented a high-end noise cancellation devise to learn from and work upon the opposite phase of the frequencies a firearm creates. Of course I am totally full of s**t and just use muffs & plugs indoors, either/or outdoors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts