MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is why I removed the beavertail - it never contacted my hand - so all it did was increase the overall length of my handgun.

Here is a picture of my M&P with the factory beavertail:

And here is a picture of my M&P with its "bobbed" tail:

In my opinion - I think it is a good move on S&W's part to have the beavertail as part of the mold for the frame - cause the beavertail is easily removed by the end-user or gunsmith - cause it is more complicated to add one on if there wasn't one there in the first place (like Glocks).

cheers

tire iron

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just remember if you shoot IDPA it takes you out of SSP and puts you into ESP division. That may, or may not be an issue for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Citius,

Hmm....sounds like a silly rule to me...but...what do I know?

Removing the beavertail has nothing to with function - and wouldn't give someone an "edge" in any way shape or form, I find it "prints" less without the beavertail for CCW. The beavertail was like a pointer sticking up from the handgun and would "catch" my shirt sometimes.

I don't shoot IDPA anymore - the club I belonged to dissolved. Maybe silly rules had something to do with it - I dunno.

But - for those of you that do shoot IDPA - should definitely be aware of what Citius posted!

Thanks for the post Citius!

cheers

tire iron

·
Registered
495 Posts
We need to remember the thoughts that went behind some of these silly rules. SSP and Production are designed to get new people into the sport as cheaply as possible. Many of the rules in these two classes are there to keep costs down. When you have metal frame weapons and plastic ones in the same class, what is a free modification for one might cost big bucks on the other. Just thought I'd through that thought out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
tire iron said:
Hmm....sounds like a silly rule to me...but...what do I know?

Removing the beavertail has nothing to with function - and wouldn't give someone an "edge" in any way shape or form...
I agree with you, for the same reason you stated. The "thought behind" the rule would be a lot more reasonable to me if it wasn't for the fact that trigger work and sight replacements, 2 modifications that do cost money and offer real advantages, are legal. If that isn't ass-backwards I don't know what is? When ruleslaws loose sight of common sence, they become stupid in my mind.

Either way, I do not buy guns for sport. My real reason for posting is to ask you a question. When I sanded on my Glock frame, it left the sanded area discolored. Did you have that issue with the M&P and if so, how did you deal with that?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts