MP-Pistol Forum banner

How many test rounds would you fire after the mag release repair before you would feel confident the

• 100-500 rounds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1,000-2,000 rounds

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my new M&P40 (full size) back to S&W for the mag drop issue after just six days and 100 rounds of ownership (bummer). I'd like to keep it as a range gun and bedside duties for my wife, but I have reliability concerns. I planned on firing maybe 100 - 200 rounds through it when it comes back before making up my mind to keep it or not. I don't want, nor do I feel I should have to spend the $$$ to test fire off 1,000 plus rounds on a new gun, just to see if it is fixed. I have a new Sig Sauer P226 Elite .40S&W I bought a few days after sending back the M&P40 that I use, but it's too big for my wife's hands.

So, my question is... realistically, what do you guys think is a reasonable amount of rounds to put through the gun before assuming S&W has fixed the mag drop issue and giving it to my wife?

Thanks for your inputs, I really want to justify keeping my M&P40....

Edit... Admin, please move this to the POLL forum. I just realized you had an area set aside for polls. Sorry for the screw up....

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Since your gun already has a 100 rounds through it I would probably put another 900 just to be sure. I like to get a case through a gun before I start carrying it and trusting it. It doesn't matter what make or model.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, here's the thing. I like to put at least 1,000 rounds through a gun before I start to trust it anyway (and more never hurts). It is somewhat beside the point that it had a defect that was serviced after about 100 rounds. So, if your pistol had been mine, regardless of whether or not I had sent it back to S&W for repairs after 100 rounds, I would still be shooting through 1,000 rounds (at the minimum) before replacing another, proven pistol with the new one.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I think your question is difficult to answer without knowing what you think is reasonable for testing a gun that seems to work perfectly out of the box.

If you are comfortable putting a box of ammo through the gun before trusting your life to it, then put a box of ammo through the M&P when it gets back.

My personal regimen is 200 rounds of the exact same carry/duty/defensive ammo that I'll be using in the gun. If it goes through 200 rounds of that ammo without a hitch, I trust it. "Trust" doesn't mean I pretend it's flawless and immune to the possibility of a malfunction. That's what proper practice is for.

How many miles would you feel like you needed to put on a new car before you'd trust it to get your loved one to a hospital in an emergency?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I voted 1-2k but my 40 cal had no problem until 4k rounds. Then it started dropping mags after every shot. After a trip to S&W I've put 6k+ thru it problem free. The new catch they installed fixed mine. the mag feels totaly different going in with no play.this was not the case with the first mag catch This weapon has never had FTF or FTE or any other problem, I carry it every day with no concern.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I wasn't going to carry my new compact until I had 1000 rounds through it. It fed flawlessly, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to drop mags. It didn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts