MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a bit leerie of new guns, as most have bugs that need to be worked out. I like the design of the MP but im uncertain of their reliability. Convince me!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
nikon - We can't convince you in a single thread. In fact, even though I love my M&P thus far, and it has been reliable to this point, I'm still not convinced of it's long term reliability. I own Glocks and they have a proven track record that's been established over the past 20 years. The M&Ps have only been out since Janurary so I can't say they are as reliable as Glocks.

However, we know that M&P is aiming directly for Glock so I can only assume reliability was one of the goals they have in mind when they set out to design the M&P.

Go check out the Range Report forum and see what folks think of their M&Ps so far. It's a better indicator than we could provide in this thread. I think you'll be impressed

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
rjhauser said:
field strip took me a whole 2 minutes.

yeah, that was hard :?

Oh come on now, there's no need for sarcasm. Let's try and educate nikon instead.

I found the M&P to a slight PITA over a Glock but still much better than my 1911s. Basically you lock the slide back, flip down the sear lever (I use my pocket knife), release the slide lock and presto the slide comes right off. At first I thought it sucked and that it was a pain but after doing it a few times I got used to it and I didn't mind. In fact I actually started to think it's a good thing. I will prevent the Darwin candidates from having and AD and blaming the gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This week I had two rounds of Lawman clean fire .40 ammo that did not fire. The primers were struck but no bang. My son had a round of Blazer clean fire .40 that jammed his M&P during a practical pistol match.

My M&P has about 2,000 round though it and his has less than a 1,000. Both functioned perfectly after these problems.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
swede4198 said:
This week I had two rounds of Lawman clean fire .40 ammo that did not fire. The primers were struck but no bang. My son had a round of Blazer clean fire .40 that jammed his M&P during a practical pistol match.

My M&P has about 2,000 round though it and his has less than a 1,000. Both functioned perfectly after these problems.

what sn#

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ill test fire one tmrw at the range. i handled one today actually, it felt pretty good. now i have to see if the beaver tail hurts my hand like it does on my XD.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nikon,

Field strip is very easy. Read the manual of arms and strip the gun and re-assemble a few times and you will be very comfortable with the process.

I now have 800+ rounds through my 40 with only 1 fail to bang. It was an S&B 165 FMJ that also failed to bang on the second strike. I have had no FTF of FTE issues. It shoots straight and true and it has become my regular carry. I have shot WWB, S&B, Commercial reloads, friends reloads, Speer and Corbon, all without the one issue which was most likely a bad primer.

Brgds,

TJQ

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just put a m&p in layaway. Sold the XD. Fin Feather and Fur down in ashland, Ohio had them for $399.99.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nikon,

Excellent price if you purchase local, which it appears you have done. Buds Gun Shop, runs adds for a low as 369, however you then need to include the FFL transfer fees with your local FFL. Add shipping and a conservitive FFL fee of 25 bucks to transfer, looks like you did very well.

I paid 439 at a local GS in October. You did great on price. Now go out and shoot it and have fun! It shoots very well for a 40. Remember trigger discipline, as the reset point on the trigger is not that far out there. I have had 2 surprise bangs in double tap practice. Most likely my own trigger discipline, meaning only touch the trigger when you wish to fire.

Good luck, Happy New Year and Best Regards,

tjq

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
nikon 777- field strip is pretty easy and besides why does anyone make a big deal over field stripping. I don't know of any field stripping competitions and it does not come into play in a gun fight. If it takes an extra second or two to clean your gun big deal. I have 4 M&P's and all have been 100%. I carry one on duty and if you know me that is a huge testiment of how I feel about a gun. I am a Deputy assigned to SWAT and a full time trainer as well as owner of Bowie Tactical Concepts. I do not take my working guns lightly. Also if the name Ken Hackathorn means anything to you he highly endorses the gun and the sheriff's office in Washington County,Ohio, where he is on SWAT also just issued M&P 40's. I seen one guy mention some failures with clean fire ammo. That is not un-commom with many different guns. Not a reflection of the M&P. If you have monitored this site you will know that S&W has already addressed the first gun type problems. Also because of some of the feeling people had about S&W other guns in the past this gun has been put under a micro scope more than most. It has been tortured by many agencies and people like me who need working guns. It has done very well. That's my 2 cents. Good Luck CHECK 360 David Bowie

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too was skeptical of the new design, especially after just getting burned on a Steyr M40-A1. Awesome gun, but has widespread reliability issues with FTE's. So instead of taking 2 or 3 months and sending the gun back to the factory a few times to get it to work the way it is supposed to work out of the box, I dumped it and looked to the M&P and the XD. I had an XD when it was the HS2000 and loved it. Still love them, and I plan to get another one some day.

But the M&P just felt like a great gun, got rave reviews, so I gave it a try.

Marvelous gun. Very accurate, mine is totally reliable so far, and it is very easy to take down.

Drop the mag, clear the gun, rotate the take-down lever downward(just like the XD) and slide the slide forward as you press the trigger. Takes 5 seconds, literally.

The *only* complaints I have about the M&P:

1) Stupid magazine rattle is annoying.

2) No .45ACP version yet!

;-)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bowie Tactical said:
nikon 777- field strip is pretty easy and besides why does anyone make a big deal over field stripping. I don't know of any field stripping competitions and it does not come into play in a gun fight. If it takes an extra second or two to clean your gun big deal. I have 4 M&P's and all have been 100%. I carry one on duty and if you know me that is a huge testiment of how I feel about a gun. I am a Deputy assigned to SWAT and a full time trainer as well as owner of Bowie Tactical Concepts. I do not take my working guns lightly. Also if the name Ken Hackathorn means anything to you he highly endorses the gun and the sheriff's office in Washington County,Ohio, where he is on SWAT also just issued M&P 40's. I seen one guy mention some failures with clean fire ammo. That is not un-commom with many different guns. Not a reflection of the M&P. If you have monitored this site you will know that S&W has already addressed the first gun type problems. Also because of some of the feeling people had about S&W other guns in the past this gun has been put under a micro scope more than most. It has been tortured by many agencies and people like me who need working guns. It has done very well. That's my 2 cents. Good Luck CHECK 360 David Bowie

Hey thanks. A lot of Ohio guys on the forum. Im in the Cleveland suburbs. Well i just plopped money down for a new MP 9mm. I hope the beaver tail doesnt slam into my thumb knuckle like it did on my XD. I think u have a fix for that listed on your site as "..Cut rear of grip tang down to slide and radius (SA-XD) $ 45.00." . Do you notice this on the MP or just the XD? Ill probably have you remove my beaver tail anyway.

Seems the guys down in Columbus and Cinci also just switched over to the MP. Cant wait till the state preemption goes into effect so i can take my AR to Columbus.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
nikon777 I have not seen this problem with the M&P grip tang. The XD is a poor design, to wide and square. I have had to cut alot of those to keep them from literally wearing the hide off peoples hands. The M&P has a better profile. But I can cut it off no problem. I done it for the first custom M&P ever built when I built two guns for Handguns magazine. I think you will really like the gun. CHECK 360 David Bowie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts