MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been carrying a Glock G19 or years. It has been totally reliable and I completely trust it. I have a M&P 9mm on layaway. The best feeling gun I ever held. Is the M&P 9mm as totally reliable as the G19???

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I've got around 400 rounds through my MP40, not a huge amount but respectable, 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 165 gr and 300 rounds of handloads, no problems of any kind, it has been totally reliable, it has earned my trust.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think it will take more time and numbers in service before anyone can really say that the M&P has the reliability of the 9mm Glocks. The 19s have a history...with a glitch or two, as in the NYPD problems...but so far Im guessing that time will prove them as reliable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I dont see what it wont, but only time will tell. My PD SWAT team tested it for about 10,000-11,000 rounds over 6-8 months and didnt clean it as far as I know, it is pretty dirty. We didnt have any issues or malfunctions at all. It makes me feel pretty confident going through the door with it and my guys, thats for sure.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The M&P will need to be used/tested for a much longer time period than it currently has, in order to judge its reliability accurately, or even compare it to the reliabilty of the G19 or G17. There have been some issues minor, and not so minor that have so far all been addressed by S&W, and there will likely be more issues that arise as time and testing goes on. It took a very long time to get the first G17's to the point they are at now. They were NOT "Glock Perfection" from day one, and the M&P wont be perfect either....But it sure is damn close!

·
Registered
464 Posts
2k thru it. It swallows all I feed it not one error. My 1911's are in the safe. :wink:

·
Registered
307 Posts
3500 rounds and counting without a glitch. Has replaced my Glock 19 as my main carry pistol. Patiently waiting on the M&P 45.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
GGM1 said:
I have been carrying a Glock G19 or years. It has been totally reliable and I completely trust it. I have a M&P 9mm on layaway. The best feeling gun I ever held. Is the M&P 9mm as totally reliable as the G19???

Another G19 owner/carry here. Like you I've been carrying my G19 for years, it's competed in local IDPA & IPSA matches and attended several training classes. I love it and trust it completely.

However, I have been very impressed with my new M&P9. I've only had it a week and shot 540 rounds through it but so far I really like this gun. Time will tell if it will prove to be reliable as my G19 but from what I've seen and read it is a pretty darn reliable platform.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Clearly the M&P engineers were able to see what worked well for Glocks and perhaps improve on that. Standing on the shoulders of giants as it were.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bloodnut said:
Clearly the M&P engineers were able to see what worked well for Glocks and perhaps improve on that. Standing on the shoulders of giants as it were.
Defenitely. I dumped my Glock 19 after shooting my M&P9. They are that good, Smith has a winner here.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My duty MP40 is between 1100-1200 rounds w/out a hiccup of any kind.

My MP9 is around 1100 rounds and the only two hiccups Ive had were reloads and I know it was the round, not the gun, and there were only two of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts