MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I would really like to start reloading. What would you guys recommend to get me started? Press, books, websites, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ChadC, You cannot go wrong with a Dillon press..I've been loading on a RL650 for over 14 years. The Tech support is awesome. The Hornady manual is very good , as well as "freebies" from powder companies ie Winchester, Alliant, etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
www.handloads.com

go to all powder manufacture websites and get the free load data availible they have.

lots of stuff online. dont have organized links.

vihtavouri,winchester,hodgdon,imr,ramshot,adi cant think what all else.

I started with a Lee single stage now using a 4 hole turret. when I move up it will be to a 5 hole progressive.

turret press can be nice to start out with can use it like a single stage.

what caliber you loading for?

Lee Modern Reloading and Lymans 48th reloading handbook couple good books. see lots of recommendations for ABC's of Reloading. if you load Hodgdon powders either 2004 or 2006 annual Manual.

http://stevespages.com

has alot of manuals and data on his website not bad one to get a mirror of it to your harddrive.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
get a good book, and read it, and reread it.

If you get a single stage press, and you shoot alot, you'll loose interest. If you get a progressive, they are a bit overwhelming at first but payoff fast.

serria has one of my favorite books, its in a 3 ring binder, so you just update it, instead of buying dozens.

Call me if you need help.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Well I suggest you buy two books on reloading at a minimum, plus buy the powder manufacturer's annual load data catalogs.

One of the books I suggest be the lee manual. Dollar for dollar it is the best introduction on to reloading out there.

For a quick online guide, there is http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=5&s2=15 covers the basics, but a couple good manuals will go into ballistics and pressure signs and some other stuff.

Then after that, I susggest you hit up some places like beartooth bullets tech notes ( http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/index.htm ) They have several articles discussing reloading and small kits, minimalist setups, wandering off the beaten path of load data, etc.

For a beginner interested in reloading rifle at some point, I recommend the hornady lock-n-load classic. Namely because I seriously recommend a single-stage or turret press to get started with. The lock-n-load classic will retain the largest degree of usefulness because it is very rigid and has their bushing system.

Alternately, it is very hard to argue with the lee 4-hole turret press kit for a good bang for the buck starter kit. It has 80% of what you need to get going, and it has it cheaply.

If you want to jump in with both feet and go progressive from the getgo, I recommend either the dillon 650, or the hornady lock-n-load AP. If you are less mechanically inclined or don't have the tinkering gene, go with the 650 and buy the video. You'll have more people to quiz online, dillon's very good support, and their good video.

personally I bought a lee 4-hole kit, and about 4500 rounds later, a hornady LNL-AP. I preferred it over the dillon mainly for saving me about $200, having a more rigid toolhead setup that makes it easier to only have one powder measure, a more modern powder measure that is harder to double charge with, and a cleaner, simpler, less hassle-prone primer system. Cartridge conversion is also faster and kits are cheaper.

Of course to offset the advantages, it uses a weird half0index on the way up, half-index on the way down mechanism. This results in some issues getting the system to eject properly with some dies if you don't tinker with things.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not a bad idea to get started on a turrent or single stage. You'll still use it later for other tasks even if you upgrade to a progressive. I have/had a Rockchucker, Lee Turrent, Lee Pro1000 and a Dillion SDB. If your looking for the cheapest route the Progressive Pro1000 has its flaws but it does work once you get it setup right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts