MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone reloads for M&P9?

What load do you use? (powder, charge, bullet)

I’ll guess I'll find out soon for myself, but how reliable is M&P with hand loads? Is it picky or will it feed pretty much anything as long as there’s enough powder in the case?

thanks

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
Anyone reloads for M&P9?

What load do you use? (powder, charge, bullet)

I’ll guess I'll find out soon for myself, but how reliable is M&P with hand loads? Is it picky or will it feed pretty much anything as long as there’s enough powder in the case?

thanks

I have been loading for my M&P9 for several months. Loads have been limited to Vihtavouri N340 powder. Bullets have been Master Blaster 115 gr., Berry 115 gr. RN, Berry 124 gr. RN, Berry 124 gr. HP , Berry 147 gr. RN. I loaded low mid and high powder charges per VV charts. Everything worked except the Berry Hollow points which tumbled Ie. keyhole in paper. 1.142 OAL for all except the HP's which I do not reccomend. All Berry's are copper plated so I used the Rainier data in Vihtavuori's chart.

My favorite load is 4.9 gr. Vihtavuori N340 with a Berry 124 gr. bullet. It shoots softly, accurately and produces 1050 FPS at 10 ft. CCI or Winchester standard small pistol primers work equaly well and yield equal results.

This load is mid range on the Vihtavuori chart so should be generaly acceptable however you should follow standard safety procedures by starting low and working up while watching for overstress signs. Safety is always your responsibility.

I hope this helps.

Good Shooting

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have shot a bunch of reloads through my 9mm M&Ps without any problems.

Here are 2 loads that I really like:

--124gr. XTP over 4.0gr. TiteGroup

--1.120" OAL

--147gr. XTP over 3.3gr. TiteGroup

--1.130" OAL

Have fun!!!

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
I shoot 9mm a lot, but it's in my Beretta Model 92FS, it has digested well over 10,000 rounds in the last few years. My standard 9mm load is:

4.6 gr WW231

115 gr JHP

That load chronographs an average velocity of:

1090 fps

20.1 fps standard deviation

This is out of my Beretta which has a 5" barrel if I remember correctly, this is a medium range load that I have been shooting for 25 years, I have several 9mm pistols, my favorite 9mm is my Beretta, my M&P is in 40 S&W. When I go out to shoot I will usually take the Beretta 9mm and 100 rounds, and then either my S&W MP40 or my Kimber 1911 in 45 acp with 100 rounds, and sometimes one of my 22's goes along as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 92FS as well and absolutely love that gun - it’s my favourite 9mm I’ve shot a few thousand reloads thu it with 0 problems… I've only had my M&P for 2 days now and haven’t shot it yet, hopefully MP9 will be the as reliable

TOF I've never used Vihtavuori powders how's the muzzle flash with N340?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Normaly with the N340 you don't have any flash or very little !

But if you load for light load, i think it's better to use the N320 !

Bere My Load

Bullter Frontier 147 Gr

3,3 Gr N320

130 PF

Bullet Frontier 115 Gr

4,4 Gr N320

130 PF

·
Registered
7 Posts
M&P 9mm

4.4gr Winchester 231

Speer 115gr TMJ bullets

WSP Primers

1.145 OAL

I've made up 250 of these and they worked great. I tried this load with different OALs from 1.165, 1.155, 1.145,1.135 and 1.125 and my best group was with the 1.145, so that's what I've stuck with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wondering guys, when making reloads comparable to factory ammo in terms of quality, velocity and accuracy, how much can one really save over $14/100 WWB, assuming brass is free? I'm really considering getting into reloading, just curious. How about for .40 and .45?

Maybe I'll start a new thread

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
bchandler said:
Just wondering guys, when making reloads comparable to factory ammo in terms of quality, velocity and accuracy, how much can one really save over $14/100 WWB, assuming brass is free? I'm really considering getting into reloading, just curious. How about for .40 and .45?

Maybe I'll start a new thread
How much can you save? Quite a bit actually, your reloading cost is most dependent on the cost of the bullet, powder is less than a penny, primers are now running from 2 to 3 cents each. For reloading cast bullets are the cheapest, then the plated bullets like the Rainiers or Berrys, and then the full metal jacket, hollow points are going to be the most expensive unless bought in bulk, all components are cheaper when bought in bulk.

Rainiers are running $57.99 per thousand at Midway, so that's about 6 cents each, 2 cents for a primer, and less than a penny for the powder, comes out about $90 a thousand using the Rainiers, your WWB would run about 55% more per thousand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks for the reply. For 45 and 40 it appears I'd save even more.

Anyone think the lee classic turret progressive press is okay to start with? I don't have $400 to spend on an RCBS or Dillon, will the Lee get me by?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts