MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm currently burning 200+rds/week, my financial advisor (wife) has given me the green light to start reloading. The plan is to reload 9mm Luger and .40S&W. I have zero experience at this.

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I've narrowed it down to either a blue 550 or 650.

Is there any good reference matl available to reloading rookies? A Reloading for Dummies manual of sorts?

Any and all info appreciated!

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
Everything you ever wanted to know about Dillon reloading:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

For someone just starting out I would recommend the 550, it's a lot easier to manage than the 650, I've been reloading on a 550 for about 21-22 years.

·
Registered
297 Posts
How much can reloading save you? I can get a 100 rds of winchesters for abotu 12.88 at wally world, so how much would a 100 rds cost me in reloading? I know there is some up front cost in buying the equipment to do this but other than the equipment what kind of savings is there?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Reloading costs the shooter a fortune. Flat out reality.

I started reloading when I was 15. Innocent enough.... lee loaders and a work bench

in the barn.

Years later I have multiple presses, enough gear to sink a small boat, and I now

buy firearms based on whether I want to reload that caliber. It's an addiction.

Get rid of a $100 mil-surp rifle because it won't shoot? No way! Buy a new mold and sizeing die

for another $100, then a neck sizing die for an abscure military caliber, then spend

weeks experimenting on various loads. $100 rifle = $300 in gear and dozens of hours.

I bought my latest pistol in 9mm just because I had the dies and about 2000 empties.

Not that I owned a 9mm at that point..... I just had the dies and a pile of empties to load.

Shoot for cheaper?

HAH! Bunk! Bogus! BS!

Shoot MORE!!! Yup.

As to the original question, you can't seem to go wrong with Dillon and I second the 550

recomendation. I don't own a Dillon at the moment but I also don't use a progressive much.

That said, you would be hard pressed to do better than the Dillon for a progressive.

Get a selection of manuals and read them.

Follow the safety rules like clockwork.

Allow no interuptions while you are loading. Someone talks, just stop till they are done.

Don't even THINK of loading very heavy or very light loads till you are experienced.

Precision, process, and work method..... work neat and clean with a plan.

You'll enjoy your shooting way more once you are shooting your own!

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
You could save money, but for most people it doesn't really reduce the cost so much as allow them to shoot more, which is a good thing!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Powder cost is minimal, usually < 1cent per round. A pound of powder is around 7000 grains and you will use 4-6 grains per load. The real expense is in what bullet you choose. Primers are on the rise of late and can cost about 2.5c each. Bullets run from 5 cents up. Brass is brass, I hope you've been picking yours up. You can get four or five reloads from it. I have been happily churning out loads off my Dillon RL500 for twenty years and love their free customer service.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TXRedEye said:
Powder cost is minimal, usually < 1cent per round. A pound of powder is around 7000 grains and you will use 4-6 grains per load. The real expense is in what bullet you choose. Primers are on the rise of late and can cost about 2.5c each. Bullets run from 5 cents up. Brass is brass, I hope you've been picking yours up. You can get four or five reloads from it. I have been happily churning out loads off my Dillon RL500 for twenty years and love their free customer service.

I've been saving my brass and have a couple of friends saving for me as well. I'll be hitting some of the upcoming gunshows for some primer/powder/bullet shopping. I've been getting comparo prices off the net.

I also need to pick up a scale, tumbler, and a few other items before ordering the big unit.

I plan to do this as more of a hobby than investment. The startup cost would take a long time to recoup!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Reloading saves me money. It really comes down to the ammount of free time you have.

Before reloading, I had time to shoot 4-5 matches a month and money to shoot 2-3. After reloading, I have time to shoot 4-5 matches a month, but if spending the same ammount on reloads as i do on ammo, i'd be stacking up a surplus of about 500 rounds a month. so i shoot more and spend less, just not as much less as a could.

But you don't realize it right away. I shot .45, so i paid off my captial investment in about a year.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
When talking about reloading and shooting something that happened to me makes a good example. I started shooting competitively in 1978, I got interested in Bullseye shooting, that is the very formal shooting style where you shoot one handed and the scoring is for accuracy, I was a reloader, but I only had a single stage press, so loading for practice took a significant amount of time, so I didn't practice as much as I should, while I was shooting Bullseye I worked up to Expert class, eventually I got tired of Bullseye and quit shooting competitively.

Years later, after I retired the first time, I took a job as a Deputy Sheriff, and I got interested in PPC competition, it's a competitive version of law enforcement training, when I became involved I realized that I wouldn't get anywhere without A LOT of practice. At that time Dillon was becoming a power in reloading and I bought a new RL550 progressive reloader, this allowed me to load enough ammo to practice on a regular basis, and the increased practice improved my skills so that after a while I was shooting in the Master class, that shows how much difference that a good progressive loader and lots of practice can make.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts