MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the info I can find on reloading data and my head is about to explode trying to make sence of it. I may be over thinking it or could be way off, but I'll never know till I ask so here it goes;

My main concern is not wanting to blow myself or my M&P up so I'm trying to figure out what powder & how many grains of it to use. I've been using Federal American eagle 165 grain AE40R3 at the range and would mind making something close to it when reloading.

First off the info on the box vs the web site differs;

On the box:

Velocity (fps) - muzzle 980 25yrds 950 50yrds 920

Energy (ft-lb) - muzzle 350 25yrds 330 50yrds 310

Website

Velocity (fps) - muzzle 1130 25yrds 1078 50yrds 1035

Energy (ft-lb) - muzzle 468 25yrds 426 50yrds 392

I would guess the website info would be more accurate but not 100% sure on that.

As for the powder, I've been looking at this chart from hodgdon trying to see what would be best to use but I'm not sure if I'm reading it right.

One thing throwing me off is they only seem to have JHPs listed for 165 Bullet Weight. Now one would guess that a 165 weight JHP would be just as heavy as a 165 weight FMJ .... after all 1 pound of feathers is the same as one pound of bricks right?? (As a side note, Federal has thier 165 hydroshock info on thier website listed at almost 100% exact as what's on the 165 FMJ box)

So here goes my guess based on what I think ....

If I were to use a 165 weight reload such as berrys

and use the data from the chart;

Bullet Weight (Gr.)____Order BW______Powder______Grs.____Vel. (ft/s)____Pressure Grs.

165 GR. SIE JHP______165___________Longshot_____7.3_____ 1139_______29,600 PSI

165 GR. SIE JHP______165___________Universal_____5.1______976_______26,800 PSI

165 GR. SIE JHP______165___________Titegroup_____4.6______961_______27,000 PSI

It seems that 5.1 grs. of universal will get me closest to what's on the box & 7.3 of longshot to what's on the website. Is that about right or am I way off on this??

And what's the difference in the powders anyway, they don't say much on the website. Although on thier Usage Chart they don't even have Longshot listed under pistol so why would the data chart have it listed.?.?

But between Universal & titegroup .... which would be better??

I know ... total noob but I gotta start somewhere right :wink:

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
gimme a call and I'll talk you through it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Federal bumped up the load on the 165gr. American Eagle. It used to be what is on your box. The new load is what is on the website. Enjoy what you have left of the old stuff. I'm sure Jester will get you straightened out on the reloading end of it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YukonGlocker said:
Federal bumped up the load on the 165gr. American Eagle.

That explains it ..... but I like what I have now so I think I'll try to reload to the specs closer to what's on the box now so Universal & titegroup powder would prob be better.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
The other thing to consider is what action and what barrel length barrel did they use to record velocity. Some use special actions and longer barrels when they measure velocity, sometimes they might use a 1911 with a 5" barrel, in any case, it is very rare to get the same velocity as what is advertised.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts