MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering whats the best way to reload? Im going back and forth between grips to see what seems best.

When I reload, it makes it much easier for my thumb to reach the release if I let off pressue or release my middle, ring and pinky finger from the grip while turning the gun at a little angle, is this normal or is there a better technique?

gonna shoot steel for my first time on thursday so Im just looking for some tips, thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd say if you're blessed with the ability not to have to change your grip whatsoever when making reloads, then by all means, don't change your grip. I haven't seen many Goliaths that can do that.

That said, my grip shifts slightly to facilitate the thumbing of the mag release. As the mag falls free, the upper arm comes in toward the chest/torso and forearm turns slightly inward (palm facing your face) as the new mag gets indexed into the magwell. My firing grip is regained as I present the gun and acquire the next target. . . . but that's just me. Feel free to see my vid clips in the competition videos section. It's worth a laugh.

-B

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well with the small grip, I can get to the release without changing grips, but the medium grips feel better in my hand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Shift the grip to hit the button is no big deal. It would be great to not have to do it, but go with whatever grip feels best while actually shooting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
With the M&P you could also venture into switching the mag release to activate it with your trigger finger. That's how my left-handed son does it with his STI and guarantees his finger is off the trigger during the reload.

$0.02

·
Registered
81 Posts
Be Careful

With the M&P you could also venture into switching the mag release to activate it with your trigger finger. That's how my left-handed son does it with his STI and guarantees his finger is off the trigger during the reload.

$0.02

I changed the mag release and was faster doing reloads, however I shot a IDPA match with my M&P set up that way and kept hitting the mag release. I use a high grip and every other round fired would cause the mag to unlock. If this would not happen I would still have the mag release on the right side, however as stated above it lead to major problems! If you change your mag. release to the opposite side, do some live fire before you carry that way are attend a match.

I also change my grip and think all us normal humans with normal hands must do so to perform a reload. Also, when I change my grip it also helps for me to tilt the weapon a little to the right. I thing probably 90% of shooters to this. I know some guys preach never change your grip and keep the weapon on target etc etc. However if I done it that way I would get a reload complete about 30 minutes later.

Pratice and see what works for you! I found one thing the speeded up my reloads was to look the mag in to the weapon.[/code]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think for a majority of shooters the grip is always going to shift, even if it's just a little. Being left handed I am already used to realesing the mag with the trigger finger. Now that I have the M&P ( got it today!), I will still release the mag with the triger finger. Plus, like Nemo said, it guarantees finger off the trigger.

Practice mag changes at home (gun and mags unloaded of course) and try to get a feel of what feels comfortable for you. Do it at the normal speed / pace you would do it while shooting. This should get you easily into a reload process you'll feel comfortable with.

Also, like stg58fal said looking the mag into the gun will go a long way into speeding up your reload.

I like to bring the gun in at or just below chin level about 10 inches away and twist my hand in just enough to be able to see the mag going into the gun. For me, keeping the gun at chin level allows my peripheral vision to still see my next target as I look the mag into the gun.

Doing reload drills at home has helped me considerably in IDPA and USPSA.

Practice and soon you'll find a method that works for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use the large grip with a slight bit of the swell removed on the right side... Right handed I don't release, or shift my grip, just lower my thumb slightly to depres the button.

Left handed I pull my second finger back from below the triger guard and push the button. Works very well. Guess I got large hands. M&P just fits me perfect.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Regardless of how you reload I think it is beautiful how the M&P's slide will close and chamber a round when you slap a fresh magazine in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts