MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have made the decision to start reloading ammo. :idea:

Walmart has discontinued selling ammo in my area and the availability/cost where i live really stinks.

I need advice on some good equipment and any other info that one might want to share .

I don't want to buy any junk and will spend a few extra bucks .

I shoot about 300-400 weekly, 9mm .40's and .45's

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've decided to do the same as soon as money allows and as soon as I actually have a feasible place for a reloading bench setup haha. I have just about made my mind up on this kit though:

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products/reloa...o/KempfKit.html

Hard to beat the price there. Depending on how much time you'd want to spend reloading per week or month, you might want to step up to a progressive. In which case I would highly recommend the Dillon 550b press.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
pass on the lee. Go to brian enos and get a dillion precision package.

the 550 or 650 are the way to go, I use the square deal b, it has its limitations though, but I can churn out 3-400 an hour. We reload 40,45, and 44 mag.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
The most common mistake new reloaders make is to go cheap, I did that when I first started reloading. I found, like so many times since, that going cheap costs far more in the long run, I bought a Lee reloader, and after struggling with that cheap pot metal stuff for 6 months or so, I almost gave up the idea of reloading. I couldn't understand it, in the magazines the guys were reloading without any real problems, so I decided to give it another try with a different brand of equipment...what a revelation, this stuff actually works! It wasn't long before every single piece of Lee equipment was in the trash where it belonged.

That was about 40 years ago, and the lesson still applies, cheap stuff costs far more in the long run, since many people who buy the cheap stuff end up having to buy the more expensive equipment on top of it, and could have saved a lot by buying quality equipment up front.

Brands that make quality equipment, those in red are the ones I recommend.

For the quantity you're talking about you should really look at Dillon.

Dillon

RCBS

Forster

Redding

Lyman

Hornady

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
honestly, if you are shooting 300-400 a week, I'd get at least a dillon 650.. possibly with a case feeder and a 3rd party bullet feeder.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
IMHO the 550 would be better, it's a less complicated machine, yet easily puts out 400-500 rounds an hour for an experienced user.

I've been reloading on a Dillon 550 since 1985, it's a great machine, as well as Dillon's most popular.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a Dillon 650, and would recommend either the 550 or 650. They have a great warranty. Once needed a special tool to replace a part on my 650. Dillon sent it free of charge with the needed part. i lost the tool. Expecting to pay for the replacement, Dillon sent the second tool free of charge too.

Ralph

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to thank all of you for your advice .

It's the Dillon 650 for me .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts