MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot the first reloads made on my Dillon 550 today.



Hornady 125gr. HAP

4.0 gr. TG

Fed 100 primers

1.130" OAL



I shot about 30 rounds of them out of my M&P 9mm fullsize (4.25" barrel).

Lo 1051 FPS

Hi 1074 FPS

Av 1058 FPS



This is a nice 132PF load for USPSA production.

I just finished pressing about 300 more to try out tomorrow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Congrats



I load 4.5gr TG behind 115gr bullets, max load according to my lyman book but not quite according to Hogdon(4.8 ) 1.100" OAL for HP and 1.140" for FMJ. Functions flawlessly in my M&P9c and I've put a couple mags of them through a full size with no probs.



I don't have a chrony but according to my book they should be 1000-1100fps



Jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Sounds like a winner I dont have the time and patience for that hobby friggin ADHD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,984 Posts
JFettig said:
Congrats



I load 4.5gr TG behind 115gr bullets, max load according to my lyman book but not quite according to Hogdon(4.8 ) 1.100" OAL for HP and 1.140" for FMJ. Functions flawlessly in my M&P9c and I've put a couple mags of them through a full size with no probs.



I don't have a chrony but according to my book they should be 1000-1100fps



Jon


A chrony is a great tool and you just don't know where you are at without one. They are not all that expensive either given what they can tell you. The charts are good starting reference material but can be way way off from reality.



Enjoy



:twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Congrats to you! How did it feel to shoot rounds you made?



Welcome to the world of reloading! In no time at all you will be tinkering with load recipes, different powders, brass, primer & bullet combinations looking for that "sweet spot load" for your M&P.




I found that I enjoy reloading/load development as much as I do shooting. I do my due diligence for a load work up and then head to the press and tinker.



The real fun comes at the range shooting over the chrono testing the load for accuracy & PF.



Now that you have the reloader cranked up you have to live up to the re loader's anthem:



You will not save money reloading - you will shoot more!



Enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It felt great to shoot them.

But these were not my first. I have been reloading for a while on a single stage. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
TOF said:
A chrony is a great tool and you just don't know where you are at without one. They are not all that expensive either given what they can tell you. The charts are good starting reference material but can be way way off from reality.



Enjoy



:twisted:


Any suggestions on brands, makes for a reasonable Chrony for pistol/rifle use? :?: Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Midway has one on sale for 69.00. It is a "Chrony" brand name. They are not fancy but they do the job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,984 Posts
243ww said:
[quote name='TOF']



A chrony is a great tool and you just don't know where you are at without one. They are not all that expensive either given what they can tell you. The charts are good starting reference material but can be way way off from reality.



Enjoy



:twisted:


Any suggestions on brands, makes for a reasonable Chrony for pistol/rifle use? :?: Thanks[/quote]



I have a Chrony brand and it works good. Mine came as a gift and included a printer and all the gadgets. All I ever use is the basic chrony and would not recommend the extras other than the remote indicator. Some friends that have been reloading for years without one were astounded at how wrong their assumptions were. I, being an Engineer, had to know what velocities my loads were achieving. Low cost units don't hurt your wallet as much if a friend happens to muzzle dip.



Mine is mounted on a camera tripod and I adjust it to the same height as our shooting bench and place it about 10 feet out from the muzzle. I always place a bullseye target on the far side with center 6 to 7 inches above the chrony. We always shoot through it from sandbag rests. People have been known to shoot the chrony if a specific aiming point is not present. Less than ten feet from muzzle can result in unburned powder particles generating false readings. Rifles may require more seperation.



Get one and enjoy the reloading game to it's fullest.



:twisted:



Edit: Can you order from US Concerns in Australia?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
243ww said:
[quote name='TOF']



A chrony is a great tool and you just don't know where you are at without one. They are not all that expensive either given what they can tell you. The charts are good starting reference material but can be way way off from reality.



Enjoy



:twisted:


Any suggestions on brands, makes for a reasonable Chrony for pistol/rifle use? :?: Thanks[/quote]



I posted a poll here last month on the types of chron's used by the members. Although the poll only had a few votes most shooters are using the Chrony brand. It is inexpensive and accurate. I would purchase the model that allows the display to be placed on the shooting bench as it makes it much easier to see tested velocities.



The post by TOF is a good example of how a chrono is set up at the range.



Link to my earlier post regarding chrono mfg. http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7487"] http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7487

[/url]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Fantastic Tof. Thanks for the reply. Yea I can get them in from the US, just have to sort out how much the shipping will hurt? Some of the lads here have them but only seen a couple, not sure on the brands though?

The Prac Pistol boys have a beat up old red thing, I’ll have a look at it next week.



I have been loading for a while now for rifle and managed to put some through to get them tested about a year or so ago. I had them just where I wanted but thought that they where way under!! Like you said…



Throwin Lead



I will check out the thread and then Google some brands and check the MP site shops…



Thanks guys!

8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
I shot the first reloads made on my Dillon 550 today.



Hornady 125gr. HAP

4.0 gr. TG

Fed 100 primers

1.130" OAL



I shot about 30 rounds of them out of my M&P 9mm fullsize (4.25" barrel).

Lo 1051 FPS

Hi 1074 FPS

Av 1058 FPS



This is a nice 132PF load for USPSA production.

I just finished pressing about 300 more to try out tomorrow!


Congrats on the 550!! Mine gets a pretty good workout!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Univesal Handgun Powder

I have had great success with my Glocks and TG. It is a good powder with out doubt.



I found that Universal Hand Gun to rule in my M&P. If you want to experiment with some different powders using your M&P I highly recommend it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Re: Univesal Handgun Powder

stg58fal said:
I have had great success with my Glocks and TG. It is a good powder with out doubt.



I found that Universal Hand Gun to rule in my M&P. If you want to experiment with some different powders using your M&P I highly recommend it.


Unfortunately half the powders that are mentioned here I can’t get… ADI, Alliant and Winchester are the only ones I can get hold off…
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top