MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy new year everyone...just wanted to remind everyone that it may be time to get some fresh ammunition for their weapon that they use to protect themself and/or family. They say to change the battery in your smoke detectors everytime the Time changes, and flip your mattress every six months...well i think it may be a good thing to put fresh ammunition in your firearms atleast once a year.

So everyone go out to your favorite gun shop and buy a new box of defensive ammunition and shoot up your old stuff for practice, clean your weapon, load up some fresh ammunition....and please everyone have a safe 2008.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
give me a good reason to blow through some expensive ammo
cheers and happy new year!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here's the problem: You go out and unload all your JHP, reload with FMJ and shoot a bunch of rounds. Then, you clean the gun and reload the JHP. No matter how careful you think you're being, a small amount of oil from the cleaning will migrate to the JHP. In any one cleaning, this probably isn't enough to damage the primer. But over the years (especially if you keep a spare mag loaded with JHP all the time and only recycle the top two bullets on a given load/reload cycle), enough oil can seep into the primer to make it unreliable.

So it's a good idea to occasionally shoot through the expensive stuff and reload the gun with fresh ammo.

Also, not a bad idea to occasionally fire the actual rounds you're depending on for self-defense, just so you can see the differences in recoil and accuracy (if any).

·
Registered
130 Posts
All good advice with sound reasoning behind it. I personally shoot my carry ammo about every 3 to 4 months just to be sure.

Powerball 165gr @ 1275fps for winter load

Hornady TAP FPD 230gr @ 975fps for summer

Powerball for winter because that design is less likely to clog on heavy outer garments and will expand more reliably when it hits tissue.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ebar5:

You've put a lot of thought into this. I never thought about changing bullets between summer and winter, but it makes sense to consider the amount of clothing a bad guy may be wearing.

At the airline I work for, we change our average passenger weight assumptions between winter and summer to account for the added weight of heavier clothes, extra holiday eating, etc. But it never occurred to me to change the bullets in my CCW piece, also.

As I said, you've thought about this a lot more than I ever did!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sound very good food for thought! Just last night I was loading my Carry mag with ammo, thinking this stock is looking old. Looks like tonight I am going to "Punch" hollow point holes through some 3x5 cards.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I also use Powerball in the winter due to additional layers of clothing that clogs hollow points and prevents expansion.

My carry gun mags are numbered, and I mark the ammo boxes with the mag number and date. When I go to the range I fire at least one mag of the defensive stuff to stay in tune and rotate the inventory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mitchpilot said:
Ebar5:

At the airline I work for, we change our average passenger weight assumptions between winter and summer to account for the added weight of heavier clothes, extra holiday eating, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts