MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shooting my full size 45with ambidextrous safety I sometimes accidentally switch the safety to the up position.

I am planning to remove the safety switches on both sides and installing the plugs.

If any of you have done this, do you find the trigger pull to be very very light?

I am accustomed to Shields (3) with no safety and they shoot very well, but with the safety on the Full Size in the fire position my gun has an extremelyy light trigger pull.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I removed the safety on my full size 45 and never looked back. No don’t think it is light at all. The only redone I got one with the safety was it was what they had.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Can you define "extremely light trigger", please?

The only Shield .45 I have access to came with a 9# trigger. That in my opinion is ridiculously heavy but to each their own.

All my full size M&P's have after market action jobs and weigh an average of 5# which, I feel is where it should be.

I would call "extremely light" about 2#.

I asked what your definition of light/heavy because that widely varies from person to person.

My ridiculously heavy might be perfect for you, perfect for me might be extremely light for you.
Without actual numbers its impossible to know what is what.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You have to remove the safety (both levers are on the same piece of metal) and the spring, detent on the left side of the sear block.

The safety doesn't really affect the weight/force to pull the trigger. It just moves up to block rearward movement of the trigger bar. Or down to allow the trigger bar to move rearward far enough to move the sear and release the striker.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apologize for my stupidity....lol!

This gun is used primarily as a home defense gun and I had not shot it in several months. Forgot how great it shoots.

Forgot I had the trigger replaced over a year ago with a flat faced trigger and it was made a little lighter (3.5 lbs). I was talking to my gunsmith and he remembered making it lighter.

Was shooting it yesterday (I am trying to carry it more often now) and it shot really great. I have been carrying and shooting a couple of Glocks lately and their triggers are a bit heavier and I had become used to that.

I am going to remove the safety so it will not get moved to fire at times when it is holstered. My other smiths did not come with a safety but that is all I could find at the time.

Thanks folks My old age senility is kicking in.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I apologize for my stupidity....lol!

This gun is used primarily as a home defense gun and I had not shot it in several months. Forgot how great it shoots.

Forgot I had the trigger replaced over a year ago with a flat faced trigger and it was made a little lighter (3.5 lbs). I was talking to my gunsmith and he remembered making it lighter.

Was shooting it yesterday (I am trying to carry it more often now) and it shot really great. I have been carrying and shooting a couple of Glocks lately and their triggers are a bit heavier and I had become used to that.

I am going to remove the safety so it will not get moved to fire at times when it is holstered. My other smiths did not come with a safety but that is all I could find at the time.

Thanks folks My old age senility is kicking in.
No worries, its easy to leave some details out.

3.5 is on the light side, I agree, but as M1A4ME said above the safety shouldn't affect the weight.

If you want to make the weight heavier you can buy a kit from Apex that will out it in the 5# range that you can install yourself for under $200.00.

Apex has a flat trigger kit, so if that is what you had installed already, I'm thinking a spring change would add a pound to 1.5 pounds to the trigger weight. Ask the person who installed it what they did/parts used.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Isn't the trigger covered by your holster when the pistol is in the holster?

I have no worries about the pistol going off in the holster. I like the safeties because they are on every brand of pistol I use/carry. Consistency if key.

·
Registered
588 Posts
When you remove the safeties, there will be open "notches" on both sides of the frame where the safety levers used to be. S&W makes plugs to fill these notches and, if you call their Customer Service number, they will send you a set at no cost.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
When shooting my full size 45with ambidextrous safety I sometimes accidentally switch the safety to the up position.

I am planning to remove the safety switches on both sides and installing the plugs.

If any of you have done this, do you find the trigger pull to be very very light?

I am accustomed to Shields (3) with no safety and they shoot very well, but with the safety on the Full Size in the fire position my gun has an extremelyy light trigger pull.

Thank you!
I would think cutting some of the length off the safety would make it harder to accidentally push it up. Just a thought

1 - 9 of 9 Posts