MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into removing the beavertail on the grip of the M&P? I'd like to get my M&P40 to have more a profile like the pictures of the compact I've seen here. I don't see any advantage to the extension...especially if it's not going to be on the compact version anyway. Is the frame solid in that area, where it can be ground off with a dremel? Or would there be more involved in shortening it?

Thanks for any responses.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Thats a good question, I'd like to hear an answer to that also. I'd be worried that there would be some sort of support there(metal).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Looks to be solid plastic back there, You should be good to go. Would opt for a belt or disc sander over the dremel but I see no reasont to fear cutting it off. The "sub-chassis" runs between the frame inserts.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I'm pretty sure canyon creek does this mod to the XD, or maybe its the springfield custom shop.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'd certainly be willing to hack the back off someone's pistol :twisted:

Usually My personal gun gets the first treatment, but I like mine the way it is with the beavertail.

So who's first??? I'll do the first one for free, customer pays the shipping!!! 8)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses...I'm tempted to try it, but I don't know if I'd be able to match the texture of the rest of the gun if I ground it...that's why I was looking for someone who might do this...

If shipping wasn't so expensive, I'd take you up on it, Dan...

Well, more thinking before I decide...Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That oxide blast on the slide looks really cool. If I can find a M&P40 for around $400, I will send it in for the oxide blasting. Dont know about the beavertail reduction though, but it looks cool. By the way got my current M&P40 for $500.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Beaver tail and recoil reduction.

I read the posting on the recoil reduction possibility of the beavertail on the M&P. This is highly over rated. The main purpose for a tail on guns like this or the glock is to keep the hand from being slide cut. If you look at the beavertail in most peoples hands you will find that the back third is just hanging in the air and not touching anything. I cut the one off on my website for a feature article being done on it and another one that will be out in Handguns magazine in a couple months. The writer has average size hands and the tail did him no good. David Bowie

www.bowietacticalconcepts.com

·
Registered
415 Posts
your grip texturing is the best I have ever seen.

Hackathorn was right you do have a lot of talent.

Mike

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Beaver tail and recoil reduction.

Bowie Tactical said:
I read the posting on the recoil reduction possibility of the beavertail on the M&P. This is highly over rated.

I asked the question about the reason for the extra beavertail on the M&P because I couldn't figure its function.

My guesses were:

• - for recoil? (unlikely as it never touches my hand)
  • - prevent slide cut? (how could I cut my hand even with a reduced beavertail?)
  • - esthetics? (I have to figure that they do consider appearance in design.)

• Before reducing my M&P beavertail, I wanted to understand the engineering intent of this feature - thus the question. If it is intended for shooters with super large hands that may get cut - then it is safe to reduce mine.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

I completely agree with Mr. Bowie. The beavertail is not for recoil reduction.

I believe the beavertail is a result of S&W looking at what people were modifying on glocks. The first modifications people were commonly doing on Glocks, after sight installs, were grip reduction and putting on a beavertail.

So I see the beavertail as S&W trying to give the people what they want from the start. Does it serve a purpose: I guess that depends on how big your hands are. If you have big meaty hands and use a high grip the beavertail probably serves you well. If your hands are a more average meatyness (new word?) I would say the beavertail does nothing for you. It certainly seems to do nothing to control recoil.

I think the recoil reduction on the M&P comes from the very stiff frame with a softer back strap, not the beavertail. The backstrap is soft enough and hollowed out just enough in the back to allow it to flex under recoil. Kind of like a built in decelerator pad.

I personally Like the way S&W is doing this the beavertail on the full size and none on the compact. Makes sense to me to remove it on a gun meant to be highly concealed.

I am still excited that S&W seems to be listening to people that know guns and how to use them for their design features.

Dan

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts

Dan Burwell said:
I am still excited that S&W seems to be listening to people that know guns and how to use them for their design features.

Dan

As am I, and I'm really excited the way the aftermarket/gunsmiths are taking the next step.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The beavertails contribute to the vague 1911 look of M&Ps.

I will be sending mine to Burwell Gunsmithing to have it bobtailed and trigger jobbed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts