MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that would like a little different look to your MP. I picked this up off of the Sig forum site and have tried it on most of my Sig barrels.

Insted of polishing the barrel, just soak it in white viniger. For our MP's about 30 min does it. Then just take your fingers and rub the black off. Then run it under cold water for about 2min, dry, apply a small amount of oil, wipe off and then apply Fitz or another brand of metal polish. Rub to whatever degree of shine you want then apply more oil, wipe off and there you have it. The viniger is not as abrasive or harmful as other chemicals or using a Scotch brite pad. I didn't believe it when I read it but took a chance and I'll be dipped, it worked! My MP 45 looks pretty good. My barrel is kind of a dull silver. I like it. 8)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Re: Removing finish from barrel

Hmmmmm, very interesting....Might just give this a shot?? Anyone else had success with this method???

Tucsonstan said:
For those of you that would like a little different look to your MP. I picked this up off of the Sig forum site and have tried it on most of my Sig barrels.

Insted of polishing the barrel, just soak it in white viniger. For our MP's about 30 min does it. Then just take your fingers and rub the black off. Then run it under cold water for about 2min, dry, apply a small amount of oil, wipe off and then apply Fitz or another brand of metal polish. Rub to whatever degree of shine you want then apply more oil, wipe off and there you have it. The viniger is not as abrasive or harmful as other chemicals or using a Scotch brite pad. I didn't believe it when I read it but took a chance and I'll be dipped, it worked! 8)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really didn't believe it when I read it either. The black finish on the Sig barrels just dissappear during the soak, but the black on our MP barrels has to be rubbed with your fingers. Guess it dosen't want to give up it's coating.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
How well do you think it would do on a slide??? I have been debating doing my 1911 slide for some time, but didnt want to media blast due to I have never done it before....lol But this sounds alot less threatning to my babies. I think I will try it on both my BBl's :?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't even think about the slide. I guess it would depend on what finish was applied. :?:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Can you supply any pictures of this mod?

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
That would be great to see... :roll:

·
Registered
134 Posts
That would have been far cheaper than the $65 hard chrome job I just had Tripp do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll see if I can get a photo up maybe later on today if I can figure out how to post one. Guess I'll learn real quick. But be gentle on a 59yo polish boy!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
LoL.....we have patience here brother, but hurry up....lmao

Tucsonstan said:
I'll see if I can get a photo up maybe later on today if I can figure out how to post one. Guess I'll learn real quick. But be gentle on a 59yo polish boy!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, lets see if this is going to work. Also a few pics of the backstrap that I tried my hand on to do the texture job. Sorry they're so big, guess I need to reduce!!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Nice work!!! Who would have thought vinegar would work that well!! Very nice Stan!

Will be giving this a try.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks ff, it did come out pretty good if I do say so myself. Thanks for the kudos.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
That is a neat trick, I like that smoked look that the barrell now has. I also like your Stippling, very precise, you must have a lot of patients... :wink: Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Morgan, thanks for the kind words but I lost my patients when I turned 50!

On the backstrap, It took me all of about 20min. I picked up a 25 watt soldering iron from Ace Hardware with a pointed tip that heats up to a max of 750 degrees and just started on one side and finished on the other side. I did a little experiment on the large grip knowing I would never use it. Also have seen on one of the sites where you can buy extras so I figured what the heck. Not too bad for an old man.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yep, that looks real nice. I wonder if that works on any coated barrell, or if it depends on the type of coating. I think a whole slide like that may look pretty good. Two-tone, but with a weathered look.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts