MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read something about this and now I can not find the posts. BUT, I noticed that the owner's manual reads to turn the tool 1/4 turn and remove. Nothing doing - it takes a 1/2 turn and it pops right out.

Sure most of yall know that, but it was making me nuts and I really didn't want to "dent" the tool or the frame.

--jcd

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The first couple times you remove it it will be rather hard to turn. I use the flat part of the magazine base plate and it makes easy work of it. It should only turn a quarter turn though!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a M&P9c with no internal lock and no mag disconnect. Per a takedown video viewed here somewhere, removing the grip takedown is not necessary for strip of the weapon. Lock the slide back, move the take down lever down, release and move the slide forward slowly, pull the trigger, and the slide comes right off.

I can remove the slide, recoil spring and barrel and re-install them in 30 seconds flat. Maybe the no lock/disconnect allow this. I see no need to push down on the sear lever for my weapon.

The grip takedown rod with the little plastic ear is a weak spot in the M&P line. I would not want to use it very much. But maybe the mag disconnect creates takedown issues. My 2 cents.

BTW, my gun needs a half turn on the takedown rod to remove, not 1/4.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
rollback88 said:
I noticed that the owner's manual reads to turn the tool 1/4 turn and remove. Nothing doing - it takes a 1/2 turn and it pops right out.
Look at the magwell with the tool in place. The tool is at 9:00 and 3:00 if you draw a line straight across. If you turn it so that a straight line points to 12:00 and 6:00, that is where the tool can be removed, which is indeed a 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
choochboost said:
[quote name='rollback88']I noticed that the owner's manual reads to turn the tool 1/4 turn and remove. Nothing doing - it takes a 1/2 turn and it pops right out.
Look at the magwell with the tool in place. The tool is at 9:00 and 3:00 if you draw a line straight across. If you turn it so that a straight line points to 12:00 and 6:00, that is where the tool can be removed, which is indeed a 1/4 turn.[/quote]

:oops: Well - that's what higher education in Arkansas will get you... embarassed!

You are exactly right. Obviously, I confused myself. Thanks choochboost.

As noted earlier, I noticed it is not necessary to remove the tool except to change the back straps, which is really a one time thing.

I'm going to go "help" my 4th grader with her homework now..

--jcd

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
rollback88 said:
:oops: Well - that's what higher education in Arkansas will get you... embarassed!

You are exactly right. Obviously, I confused myself.
It happens. :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, I meant 1/4 turn not 1/2. turn on the grip rod. Traverse City typo.

I am assuming there is no damage done using my previous post using the pull trigger method to field strip the gun. I assumed the S&W method is to cover AD if you actually are inane enough to work on a gun with a round still in the chamber (lawyers can work anything, no offense to anybody here).

Any thoughts? If pulling the trigger to release the sear and pull the slide is a long term wear & tear problem, I would want to know. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts